Dvorak for Linpus

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by ABSDoug, Nov 26, 2008.

1. ABSDoug

ABSDoug

I've finally got dual booting going! Now I'd like to be able to type in Dvorak. I have gone so far as to reposition the keys for Dvorak, so I *need* to be able to enable in Linpus. Thanks for you help ahead of time -- love the forum & LOVE my AA1!
    :D

ABSDoug, Nov 26, 2008
  2. ABSDoug

bubababa

Did you physically reposition the keys in the keyboard? Can this be done without breaking the keyboard? I'm planning on rearranging the keys myself but i am afraid i might break something when trying to plop the keys out of their places. Do the keys just plop out like on old desktop computer keyboards?

EDIT:

Ok, I found the answer already. viewtopic.php?f=43&t=6777&p=44519&hilit=keyboard+layout#p44519

bubababa, Nov 29, 2008
  3. ABSDoug

ABSDoug

You will break keys -- use stickers!

ABSDoug, Nov 30, 2008
  4. ABSDoug

Migdale

I recommend learning to touch type using Dvorak. It is awe inspiring and great fun. And unlabeled Dvorak keys add an extra element of security, simply by confusing uninvited users. About ten years ago I used a Mavis Beacon touch typing course on CD which offered Dvorak as an additional option to Qwerty. I have never looked back. What is on offer these days in terms of Dvorak touch typing courses for various operating systems I don't know, but it is worth a try, and something good will be available certainly for Windows and Macs at a reasonable price.

My keyboards are not Dvorak labeled and I cannot always remember when looking at a keyboard what letters of the alphabet are consigned to the keys in Dvorak. But when touch typing while looking at the computer screen my brain, decrepit though it is, directs the fingers to the right keys without me needing to think about it.

As a UK user I haven't found a £ sign in the US Dvorak key layout on Linplus (I only configured my Aspire One for Dvorak a few hours ago thanks to to help from this forum). But, in any case, in OpenOffice it is found in "Insert" as a symbol.

Migdale, Jan 1, 2009
Ask a Question