DW1390 - No networks found?

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by itasor, Apr 4, 2009.

1. itasor

itasor

I bought a DW1390 on eBay to replace the wifi card in my 8.9" Aspire One (for compatibility with OS X). I installed it, and both OS X and Windows recognize the card is there (Windows Vista shows in device manager, OS X shows Airport icon in top right), but neither find any wireless networks. In OS X, it scans for a few seconds and then doesn't find any networks. In Windows, it says no networks found. I confirmed that the antenna wires were hooked up correctly (they are color coded on the card...). Yesterday I put the Atheros card back in and it works fine and picks up networks.

Is this a software issue, or does the 1390 card I bought seem like it has a hardware issue? I am exchanging it for another one, but would like to avoid disassembling and reassembling the AAO an excess amount of times if possible.

Thanks!

itasor, Apr 4, 2009
  2. itasor

tux67

Did you ever get an answer to this, as I have exactly the same problem?

tux67, Apr 5, 2009
  3. itasor

itasor

Not yet. I just posted it this morning. The seller I bought the DW1390 from is sending me another one, so I should have it early next week. The fact that networks are not found in either Windows or OS X leads me to believe something is defective with the card. The Atheros card works fine in Windows, so I know my antennas are fine. I had them hooked up both ways to the DW1390, so that couldn't have been the issue (as I have read conflicting info about the best way to hook them up).

You put yours in and it recognizes it but scans and finds no networks?

itasor, Apr 5, 2009
  4. itasor

tux67

Exactly that, I am really annoyed, as OS X works fantastically otherwise. Interestingly enough, I have a 3G usb modem that I am typing on/connecting on now, which works great!

Will have to wait and see I guess. I may take the card out and re-seat it tomorrow and see! :(

tux67, Apr 5, 2009
  5. itasor

itasor

Yes, my OS X works perfect otherwise as well. Very frustrating. I left the top off of my Aspire one and used it with a USB keyboard and mouse so I could reset/recheck the card. After reseating it 3 or 4 times and cleaning the contacts, I gave up and figured it must be defective. Because it was recognized but couldn't find any networks, I thought maybe it was an antenna error. I popped the Atheros back in and in Windows Vista it quickly found all my wireless networks.

I will make sure to let you know what happens when I get and install the replacement.

itasor, Apr 5, 2009
  6. itasor

prepst

Would you try to change each antenna lines (white and black) put into another connector?

I use a wifi card that maybe the same as Dell DW1490, but made for HP/Compaq machines.
    First I try to put antenna lines into the same order of the default card.
    But nothing have happened at WindowsXP and OSX 10.5.6 .
    It seems well about wifi card itself, but that cannot wifi waves.

So I put antenna lines to the another way, then OSes have caught waves and works well.

prepst, Apr 6, 2009
  7. itasor

itasor

Hmm, that's the same problem that I had, but I did try both combinations of hooking up the wires. Neither found any wifi networks, but the card remained recognized. Hopefully the replacement card (on the way) solves this problem.

itasor, Apr 7, 2009
  8. itasor

itasor

To those that have the 1390 working in your Aspire One: Did you hook up the antenna wires in the same order as the original Atheros card? Or did you reverse that order and match up the wires with the colors indicated on the 1390's sticker? Thanks!

itasor, Apr 8, 2009
  9. itasor

adamsweeting

I installed the wires the other way around to the Atheros. Works fine.

adamsweeting, Apr 8, 2009
  10. itasor

itasor

I just got my replacement DW1390 and installed it. Picking up networks fine now! I hooked it up with the antenna wires as indicated on the 1390 label (backwards compared to Atheros).

Thanks for the help everyone.

itasor, Apr 8, 2009
Ask a Question