e mail help

Discussion in 'Linux' started by bren, Nov 15, 2008.

1. bren

bren

Hi there, I only got my Aspire yesterday. I have maanged to get connected and am trying to set it up so i can receive email on my talktalk account. Although I can send emails on this address whnever they try to reply it comes back to my main p.c not my laptop???? Anyone know how to fix this. I have never used linux before and am used to email in outlook express so its all a bit confusing? I havent even started on trying to connect to my printer one thing at a time!!! Help appreciated. :| :| :cry:

bren, Nov 15, 2008
  2. bren

barrie

Hi bren,

I am new here to only got my notebook last weekend, so if you have solved this just disregard my post, but you say that you have been using outlook express, I used Outlook and just adopted exactly the same account settings for two email addresses and replicated them into the Mail Client on my Acer Aspire One.

All worked fine but I have now loaded Mozilla Thunderbird for Linux 3.0 Alpha 3 and use this as I prefer its interface.

When you try and access you email account / accounts on your AAO do you get a dialogue box appear re accessing server, and enter a password?

Also how long do you leave your emails on the server in OE on the PC? As I feel this is an account setting within OE on the PC causing this?

Regards
    barrie

barrie, Nov 15, 2008
  3. bren

magnox

Hi, I am with talktalk and put the same settings in Aspires own email client as I did on any other of my computers. It worked first time and after that I got a message that said the server could not be found when I tried to send email but it would receive email. I use linux Ubuntu on two other laptops and don't have a problem with email. I have now installed Thunderbird on the Acer and it works without problem. I have emailed talktalk's technical people and asked for the IP address and DSN numbers etc. They have not got back to me. I do though, think it is the Acer's email client that is the problem otherwise Thunderbird would not work with exactly the same settings.

magnox, Nov 15, 2008
  4. bren

bren

Thanks to both of you for reply. Since i last posted I have set up a gmail account and its working fine. Am still working my way round it all but getting there. thanks again

Bren

bren, Nov 16, 2008
  5. bren

barrie

Hi bren,

Good to hear you have solved the issue, :) remember you can add you’re most used or favourite applications to the desktop panel, I have just added Skype as screen shot. [​IMG]
    There are numerous very easy to follow threads on this in the How to guide area of the forum. ;)

barrie, Nov 19, 2008
  6. bren

Geomac56

I got my machine yesterday and am also using a TalkTalk e-mail account. My problem is that attachments on test e-mails sent from my main Windows system arrive as a file named "winmail.dat", which is useless for any practical purpose. I have tried sending Vcard (.vcf) files in both plain and zipped format, with the same result.

The application manual is quite unhelpful. The attachment icon seems to be a paperclip and a green circle with a tick mark whereas the manual bangs on about a "gray attachment icon".

Any ideas?

Geomac56, Nov 22, 2008
  7. bren

markh

Your problem there is not with the AAO, but with Microsoft: Outlook doesn't conform properly to the standard methods of sending email, and so when you send messages using rich text (i.e. specified font, bolding, etc) or attachments, it has to send a supplementary file (that's the winmail.dat) to contain it. Other Outlook versions can read it, but non-microsoft products often can't without some sort of fix. I'm using Thunderbird instead of the standard acer mail, and there's a simple plugin to fix this, but I'm afraid I don't know about the acer email solution - a search on the forums, or a new post with a descriptive title, might get you somewhere.

markh, Nov 22, 2008
  8. bren

Geomac56

Thanks markh, it's half the battle to know where the problem lies. I've forwarded your reply to a Linux guru of my acquaintance who seems to have no problems handling attachments from me, and, if he comes up with a solution, I'll post it here.

Geomac56, Nov 23, 2008
Ask a Question