E- Recovery Registry Entries :

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by JDVON, Mar 22, 2009.

1. JDVON

JDVON

I have an aspire one, that arrived in pristine condition.. and is a marvellous little worker. But.. just like everyone else.. I don't trust hard drives.. so an E-Recovery partition is not amusing when one considers what happens when the hard drive packs it in. Now, here's my question:

My E-recovery, contains a few programs that prompt you to create a "restore" disk. I poked around.. Sure enough, there's a file in c:\acer\empowering Technology\eRecovery folder, which includes a file called "popupMsgBackup.exe".

It's a pop up that appears the first time the computer is booted Practically begging you to create a restore disk!

.. and from then on, presumably doesn't appear again ??

On my hp dv9000, I made a note of registry and program changes after I burned my first "recovery dvd" and undid the changes after it had completed and verified a good disk.. and by undoing those changes, I actually, was able to burn a second copy. And a third, and a fourth.. as many times as I want.. one file, and one registry entry change, and I can burn a restore disk FOR my own computer, should anything happen at any point.

To make a long story short.. my acer aspire one aoa150-1447 160gb hd (sapphire blue six cell battery).. HAS the software in place, in e-recovery, AND in it's initial setup files, to burn a comprehensive restore disk via an initial pop up screen the first time the computer's booted.

So let's look into this.. What, in the registry, indicates successful completion of a burned restore disk? Or does the initial restore disk litter a file somewhere in the recovery partition that indicates a recovery disk has been already burned?

The framework was in place on my aspire one to burn a recovery disk.. the fragments of which still remain functional. Provided I find out what registry entry OR what file, needs to be "modded" to revert back to it's first e-recovery session to "trick" the little guy into wanting to spit out ANOTHER (MY FIRST) recovery disk. The recovery disk creation stuff is still there.. so why do I have to clonezilla and all that bs to create one? The framework's there!! There's a tiny setting somewhere that disables the functionality of it after the first copy. The ironic thing, is I never got one.

I just don't know what "tweak" has to be done, to make this one, create MY first disk. I suppose I'll have to carefully manipulate some data and figure it out ;)

Just like a large portion of you, I am quite annoyed by customer service selling a restore disk set, because their e recovery didn't properly produce a first set. I had the external drive on hand to burn the recovery dvd when I first booted this little guy.. I just didn't get given the popup message giving ME that option when I booted it for the first time.

Any ideas?

JDVON, Mar 22, 2009
Ask a Question