Easy Peasy (Ubuntu) for AAO

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Altermac, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Altermac

Altermac

Altermac, Jan 8, 2009
  2. Altermac

wankel

I am currently running the last version of Ubuntu eee on my AAO and I'm very impressed. I think I'll wait a bit longer before upgrading to EasyPeasy, though.

wankel, Jan 8, 2009
  3. Altermac

meng

I see the article says it is based on 8.10, but the website wiki suggests it is still 8.04.1. Who knows which it is? I'm thinking of upgrading my EeePC, but it already has ubuntu-eee (8.04) on it.
    Edit: On browsing their forums, easypeasy 1.0 does seem to be an updated version of ubuntu-eee, and not just a simple renaming.

meng, Jan 8, 2009
  4. Altermac

caulktel

Their site doesn't give a whole of info about it. If I thought it would work with no problems and everything working I would download it right away, but until I hear more about it I will wait. Yeah I know, I'm lazy.

caulktel, Jan 9, 2009
  5. Altermac

Neffirithion

I believe that they just upgraded to 8.10, cause at some point their Wiki said something like "Most of the sites on the wiki havn't been updated and will still say 8.04" which sounds like they are now on 8.10, which excites me greatly, i had eee-ubuntu and am stoked to finally have something with 8.10 so i can have my headers for my SICKBOY kernel!

Neffirithion, Jan 9, 2009
  6. Altermac

csmo

I am using Easy Peasy on my AAO 110L (8GB SSD 512MB RAM) and so far it looks pretty sweet. It's more responsive than the eee-ubuntu (based on Ubuntu 8.04) was and this is based on Ubuntu 8.10 which isn't a bad thing. I'm quite impressed and happy with Easy Peasy so far.

csmo, Jan 9, 2009
  7. Altermac

meng

Sounds good, I'm thinking of updating my UNR installation with this. Have you experienced any problems with networking?

meng, Jan 9, 2009
  8. Altermac

csmo

Wireless network worked out-of-the-box for me. I did the usual thing; chose my own wireless connection from the NetworkManager applet menu, added the password and bam, I was connected right away. From cold boot to internet connection ~ 55 seconds. I haven't done any major tweakings yet so there is most likely room for improvement.

csmo, Jan 9, 2009
  9. Altermac

Altermac

Everything working? To good to be true?

Cardreader (left/right)?
    Wireless-LED?
    Mic?
    Sound after Suspend?
    In the Discussion on 8.0.4 and Netbook-Remix were a few more Issues ..

Altermac, Jan 9, 2009
  10. Altermac

torpor

8.04 is still going to give you better video&3D performance than 8.10 currently does .. if games and 3D are important to you, hold off on upgrading to any Ubuntu 8.10-derived version for now .. there are fixes on the horizon, and with a fair bit of hacking you can sort it out yourself, but if you're using UNR because of the easy/no-hacking-required factor, you'll be disappointed with video performance. For now.

torpor, Jan 9, 2009
  11. Altermac

csmo

Not quite.

[*]Cardreader (left/right)? Yes.

[*]Wireless-LED? No, but can (probably) be fixed (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Aspir ... EDs/Switch). Not important for me so haven't tried to fix it.

[*]Mic? Not after suspend/resume. There's an easy way of fixing it *somewhat* (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne110L#Audio).

[*]Sound after Suspend? Same as above.

No acerfand script included and most other tweaks found at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne or related sites aren't implemented either.

Some pros:

Easy Peasy is responding quite fast when opening apps--even faster sometimes than Linpus (however crazy that may sound)

USB memory sticks are recognized *fast* (way faster than Linpus)

Video/Audio codecs are pre-installed and thus you're able to watch videos and listen to music right away after installation.

The above is solely based on my own humble experience. My setup is a 110L (8GB 512MB RAM) model. So your mileage may vary.

csmo, Jan 9, 2009
  12. Altermac

PGH_One_User

Anyone have any tips to get this installed to an sd card or flash drive? My one came with XP and I don't want to blow it away (yet). TIA

PGH_One_User, Jan 9, 2009
  13. Altermac

csmo

csmo, Jan 10, 2009
  14. Altermac

accord-se

ok guys how we can make the USB live for it

accord-se, Jan 12, 2009
  15. Altermac

kintekobo

I just installed EasyPeasy which looks absolutely superb. The radio didn't work so I checked the forums and found a solution that required installing the Windows driver net5416. This seemed to fix the problem and the radio now worked, or so I thought because the AP I had first associated to was just running WEP. When I tried to connect to an AP running WPA2 Personal it fails to connect.

Anyone got any ideas if this is the case, or is it something I have done or not done? I have seen some posts here where people are saying that EasyPeasy Netbook works straight out of the box and others saying that it needs some other drivers loading. Why should this be the case? If everyone is running the same hardware shouldn't everyone have the same results?

Any help or suggestions gratefully accepted.

Edit: Forgot to add that the Ubuntu is Release 8.10 (Intrepid) / Linux Kernel 2.6.27-8-eeepc

kintekobo, Jan 12, 2009
  16. Altermac

meng

I would suggest installing the custom kernel here. If that doesn't work, perhaps revert to WPA? as WPA2 has been problematic for other users (not sure with which kernel though).

meng, Jan 12, 2009
  17. Altermac

ajayre

Here is my experience installing this on my AAO 1Gb RAM, 160Gb hard drive...

The installer is the standard Ubuntu installer - i.e. the dialog windows are too tall for the screen. I think that netbook specific distros should adjust these, like the UNR distro does.

After installing the entire user interface didn't respond to mouse clicks. The mouse could move, the screen was updating (clock and caps lock indicator), but nothing could be clicked on. I had to turn it off by holding down the power button.

After the reboot I was prompted to enter my administrative password for no obvious reason. After entering it the distro proceeded to start the Ubuntu installer again, asking to select a language. I guess that is what the password was for. I canceled that.

After a few seconds a notification popped up saying "incomplete language support". I'm using English.

Wireless didn't work out of the box like it does the UNR - i.e. I didn't have a list of networks to choose from, instead only manual setup was available. I didn't bother completing that because I'm not going to keep the install.

Hopefully they keep working on it so we continue to have lots of choices, but right now it seems a bit...disappointing.

Andy

ajayre, Jan 16, 2009
  18. Altermac

finnbakk

I have installed the final release of Easy Peasy on my AAO 110, 8GB SSD, 512 MB RAM, and everything except from the wifi lights seems to work OOB.
    It's great :)

finnbakk, Jan 26, 2009
  19. Altermac

samguyjones

Can anyone listen to Bluetooth headphones on Easy Peasy? Currently, I can only get alsa-bluetooth running on UNR, and only if I run it with the original UNR kernel.

samguyjones, Jan 26, 2009
  20. Altermac

csmo

I suggest you go to http://www.ubuntu-eee.com/forum/viewtop ... f=12&t=543, and mention that problem of yours.

csmo, Jan 26, 2009
Ask a Question