Easy Peasy (Ubuntu) for AAO

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Altermac, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Altermac

csmo

Yes, I'm a little flabbergasted also as to why linux4one gets so much attention here while Easy Peasy really just works out of the box and at the same time is build upon the newest Ubuntu release (8.10) whereas linux4one is build upon 8.04. Beats me.

csmo, Jan 26, 2009
  2. Altermac

Juiceski

Running Easy Peasy with Sickboy's newest kernel. Everything working out of the box including WiFi lights (they actually flash with network traffic...pretty cool). Thanks Sickboy, boot times are noticeably quicker 35 sec for a fully operable (with WiFi) machine, 40 sec for complete SSD inactivity. Have not tried the left card reader however have a 8GB SDHC on the way that I will test when it gets here. No sound after hibernate (sometimes, but not always....kinda weird but ok) but with such quick shutdown (20sec) and boot times, not a huge issue, I just shut down all the time. Main issue I have is that the wireless signal does not seem to be as strong as on Linpus. Not terrible, just seems like the signal is 15 to 20% weaker. This seems to be a common issue however haven't really found an answer as of yet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, NETWORK on the right side seems to be a dead link (not a huge deal, can get there through prefs anyway).

To the guy above who said the installer kept booting and he couldn't click icons on his desktop at login without entering his admin pass, I had the same issue. When you reboot, enter your admin pw so that you can access your desktop. Go to Preferences --> Sessions --> and disable Ubiquity. This will solve all your problems of the installer loading at every boot and having to enter your admin pw.

Another tip, if you were like me and sick of every window auto maximizing (terminal for instance was a serious pet peeve) go back to Sessions --> disable Maximus. This will allow you to size your windows.

I'm not sure if these tips have been addressed yet in this thread yet but have found them floating around other message boards and thought I would share (apologize if they are previously addressed but I'm too lazy to read the earlier posts right now).

Overall I'm extremely pleased with this install as my Linux experience was limited to the original Linpus (which I completely hated; even after getting the kiddie desktop removed it was still frustrating to deal with repository / dependency issues and live update). I haven't really done any command based O/S work since DOS so I was little intimidated but Googling any issues you can find pretty much any workaround (thanks to all those who help). To those of you wondering if you should make the switch or not, I recommend it highly. Sorry for the rambling post and take my comments with a grain of salt.

BTW ApsireOne A110 8GB 512MB (Upgrading to 1GB of additional Crucial as soon as it and the SDHC get here...can't wait). It is fun to tinker with this, Linux in general has been a rewarding learning experience (if you like to tinker that is) and thanks again to all those who take the time to post / help out the newbies.

Juiceski, Jan 27, 2009
  3. Altermac

finnbakk

Question:
    1. When you install Sickboy's kernel in Easy Peasy, do you have to use this command? :
    sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture linux-image-someversion_i386.deb

or?

2. Is it necessary to do some tweak to get Sickboy's kernel to fully work ?

finnbakk, Jan 27, 2009
  4. Altermac

csmo

csmo, Jan 27, 2009
  5. Altermac

angryfly

I installed EasyPeasy on my AAO today (1GB mem 8GB SSD XP model) after not being able to deal with XP at all. My wife uses it mostly for just web and email and was complaining about how slow XP was.

After install, I had pretty much the same results as everyone else. Everything pretty much worked right out of the box with the exception of my wireless. It worked fine on the live version running from a 4GB USB key. But after install it wouldnt work at all.

So I found a post pointing to the linuxwireless.org site and updated drivers using compat-wireless. I followed their instructions and now the wireless is working great, even the wifi light blinks on activity.

One caveat, you have to make sure to uninstall any linux-backports wireless modules that were installed by EP as they are not compatible. It was pretty simple to uninstall them using Synaptic.

Then just 4 commands later and I had wireless working great.

angryfly, Jan 27, 2009
  6. Altermac

finnbakk

Quite strange. On my AAO the Wifi worked out of the box without reconfiguring or uninstalling anything :)

finnbakk, Jan 28, 2009
  7. Altermac

finnbakk

Where can Sickboy's newest kernel be found? Is there a working link?

finnbakk, Jan 28, 2009
  8. Altermac

krisaxe

Hi all, i was going to give EasyPeasy a try, but after booting from the usb stick i noticed thw wifi didn't work... i could see the list of connection but after trying to connect for a while it would tell me the network was disconnected or something similar..

From reading these pages it seems i'm the only one whose wifi doesn't work with easypeasy (lucky me)

Now i'm not sure if i should try and install anyway and hoping the problem won't occur in the installed version or just keep the boring but working linpus...

i read about SICKBOY's kernel that could fix the problem but i haven't got a clue what that is and how i could install it in easypeasy; could someone point me to the exact link where the installation procedure is? I find the whole thing very complicated and i would'nt want to end up spending hours trying to fix the wifi in the AAO..

thanks a lot

k

krisaxe, Jan 29, 2009
  9. Altermac

csmo

krisaxe: sometimes (and I don't know why) I have needed to reboot one extra time before wifi would work right after an installation. Otherwise, it has always worked at first boot up for me. Try rebooting one extra time and see how it goes. As for SICKBOY's kernels, they haven't improved my wifi connection (but they sure have helped to speed up my boot times to which I'm very grateful -- no bad words from here), so I'm not sure you'll need another kernel for improving your net connection. Maybe wifi only works for some with a newer kernel installed, I don't know. But an extra reboot might be all you need to do.

csmo, Jan 29, 2009
  10. Altermac

krisaxe

Thanks very much csmo, i'll give it try tonite and see what happens ;)

cheers,

k

krisaxe, Jan 29, 2009
  11. Altermac

csmo

So, krisaxe, did a simple extra reboot solve your wifi issue? Please spill the beans. :)

csmo, Jan 30, 2009
  12. Altermac

liveevil

Hello, first off kind of new to this but i have run into problems that I cannot find a solution to. I am trying to the easy peasy onto a usb drive from the unetbooin and keep getting a message to install util-linux, which I already have, and the udev package (also installed). once unetbootin starts my usb drive is not found. Has anyone run into this or know how to solve this? I am doing this from the linpus lite as well.

Thanks in advance

liveevil, Jan 30, 2009
  13. Altermac

krisaxe

well, yes, even if it was still a live boot, the wifi did work after rebooting...i really like the operating system and i was just going to install when i found out that the webcam didn't work (i opened Cheese and there was no picture ) :evil: , which is very strange since it worked on linux4one with the same application... so i'm still stuck with my custom Linpus for the moment..

Do you know any fix for the webcam problem?

cheers,
    k

krisaxe, Jan 30, 2009
  14. Altermac

csmo

krisaxe, good to hear you got wifi working.

About Cheese (and most other applications for that matter), it is my experience that some apps won't work when only running a live session. Meaning, the issue will most likely be resolved when you have the OS installed onto your harddrive (or ssd) and thereby getting access to sufficient updates, drivers etc. But this is only based on my own experience so if you are a bit reluctant to try out installing the distro onto your AAO you might want to get my 'theory' verified by other, more qualified users before installing. However, if you already have done a USB recovery backup as per macles' backup how-to (http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/12/acer ... ackup.html) it should be safe to install Easy Peasy and see if that will fix the problem--if not you can always go back to Linpus again the easy way. Btw, 'Cheese' was/is working for me out-of-the-box after installation.

csmo, Jan 30, 2009
  15. Altermac

csmo

liveevil: perhaps it sounds stupid but have you tried inserting the USB flash before running the UNetbootin? Or maybe you could try to uninstall/re-install unetbootin again and see if that works?

csmo, Jan 30, 2009
  16. Altermac

krisaxe

that's great info mate! thanks very much

i've only got 1 pen drive thou, can i copy the image of the AAO backup in my windows system so that i can free the pen for easypeasy?

cheers,
    k

Edit: i just had a look at the usb contents, i guess i can just copy them in my hard disk and format the pen.. :roll:

krisaxe, Jan 30, 2009
  17. Altermac

csmo

I wouldn't know, I'm afraid. Please refere to the link provided in my previous message (to macles' blogspot). Macles is the creator of the AA1 backup script so he should know. :)

csmo, Jan 30, 2009
  18. Altermac

samguyjones

Audio

I installed Easy Peasy. It's the first install other than Linpus I've used where the internal microphone worked (but it only worked for Skype). The line-in didn't work. I edited /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base and put in

Code:
    # Reenable Sound after a Suspend
    options snd-hda-intel model=acer

That made internal mic stop working and the line-in start working.

My only issues now are that the right card reader doesn't work unless there's an SD card in it at startup and the wifi LED doesn't work. The Sickboy kernel fixes both of these, so I'll try that after I check out A2DP (which I wasn't able to get working with the Sickboy kernel before). It's very close to perfect function.

A small but important detail is that the UME launcher responds to tab and arrow keys with Easy Peasy and didn't under UNR 1.01.

samguyjones, Jan 30, 2009
  19. Altermac

krisaxe

Ok, i have istalled easypeasy, the wifi didn't work, after about 7/8 reboots it suddenly started working, hopefully it's gonna stay like that..
    Just one stupid question: why the bloody installation wizard keeps on opening up everytime i log on, even if i already installed the OS and the pen drive is not inserted?!?

krisaxe, Jan 30, 2009
  20. Altermac

csmo

csmo, Jan 30, 2009
Ask a Question