Easy Peasy (Ubuntu) for AAO

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Altermac, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Altermac

krisaxe

aaah, thanks very much mate, u r a star, it was driving me nuts! :D

Everything else is working fine, including the webcam in Cheese...i love this distro, can't be even compared to linpus..

cheers,
    k

krisaxe, Jan 31, 2009
  2. Altermac

FernandoBatista

Re: Audio

Does Slickboy Kernell works with 3g devices out of the box? I tried the latter releases on a xubuntu install and it didn't work. At least not as easy as the original Kernells.

FernandoBatista, Jan 31, 2009
  3. Altermac

chrisgeller

Hi

I've just installed Easy Peasy - looks really good - but no go at all on WiFi. I don't actually really know where I'm meant to select it - Network Configuration in Preferences has a tab for wireless but I can't see the selection of Networks available or anything really.

Works fine with Ethernet. Any tips where I should be looking?

chrisgeller, Feb 1, 2009
  4. Altermac

csmo

chrisgeller: there's a blue "Network Connection" icon located to the left of the "Sound" icon in the upper right corner of the screen. First, right-click the icon in order to make sure wireless network is enabled. Then left-click the same icon and a list of available wireless network connections should now be visible.

csmo, Feb 1, 2009
  5. Altermac

perspire_one

Hello,

If I install easy peasy ubuntu, will I lose all the files currentley in docs/music folders?

perspire_one, Feb 1, 2009
  6. Altermac

csmo

If your docs/music folders are located on the partition you're going to install Easy Peasy onto, then yes, you will lose all data. Best for you is to make a backup of those file/folders (or the entire home directory) if they are important before installing a new OS.

csmo, Feb 1, 2009
  7. Altermac

perspire_one

Thanks csmo, I assumed as much.

perspire_one, Feb 1, 2009
  8. Altermac

Juiceski

has anyone successfully disabled the UNR interface? have read a few posts about people getting rid of it in favor of a more standard desktop but having some serious issues with it. was hoping to install something like the cairo dock bar as well. if anyone has a how to guide or step by step instructions, please post. it would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance as always.

Juiceski, Feb 3, 2009
  9. Altermac

ajayre

I was able to remove it by disabling the startup items, changing the theme back to Human and rearranging the panels, but once I did that I wasn't able to successfully get Maximus working again.

If you look at the steps to manually install the UNR interface over the top of Hardy or Intrepid then you can simply reverse those steps to remove it.

Andy

ajayre, Feb 3, 2009
  10. Altermac

Juiceski

thanks ajayre. not particularly concerned with maximus as i have it disabled anyway. have you noticed any significant issues with running Easy without the UNR interface?

Juiceski, Feb 3, 2009
  11. Altermac

ajayre

I wiped my installation and switched to 8.04.1. I didn't like the fact that UNR uses LPIA repos. Not sure if that was the case with Easy Peasy - I didn't run it for very long because I had some problems.

Andy

ajayre, Feb 5, 2009
  12. Altermac

dirkjan82

I've installed Easy Peasy 1, and most stuff worked right out of the box. Indeed Sickboy's kernel is a nice upgrade.

There's only 1 problem for me though: both my card readers don't seem to work. I can mount usb devices (like external hard drive) just fine, and they get mounted in the right list of the "desktop". But any card I put into any of the card readers (tried SD left and right, and xD on the right) don't seem to work. Does anyone know how I can fix that?
    I've got a friend who looked at it with me, and we've tried a few things I've found on the net (can't find the links as they're bookmarked on my Aspire One, and I'm currently at my desktop). But they didn't work. My friend then told me to re-install Easy Peasy because sometimes things might work after a new install. Also he told me to try and install (from usb drive) with a card in both slots. Could that work?

dirkjan82, Feb 22, 2009
  13. Altermac

dirkjan82

Can't seem to edit my previous post, so here's a mini-update. One of the solutions I've tried was this one: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Aspir ... D%20READER:

For the other solution I checked my fstab, which looks like this:

Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    # /dev/sda1
    UUID=4e3dbbac-d711-48f3-8afa-b1b23aef2c80 / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # /dev/sda5
    UUID=a73efed3-cf25-4753-97a0-72b9b29cc29c none swap sw 0 0
    Dunno if that's good or bad.

dirkjan82, Feb 22, 2009
  14. Altermac

RockDoctor

For the xD card problem, go back to the Linpus kernel that comes on the SSD. It uses modules for the Jmicron multi-card reader that were not accepted into the mainline kernel and do not work with recent kernels.

RockDoctor, Feb 23, 2009
  15. Altermac

tonyl

I too had trouble getting the card slots to recognise a card, with EasyPeasy and Sickboy's kernel. My symptoms were that it would recognise the slot as long as it had a card in it at boot but not otherwise. Cards could then be swapped after boot, without problem. I only have SD cards, so don't know about behaviour with XD or SDHC.

I tried most of the 'solutions' found on various pages until a combination worked. No single fix seems to work, as far as I can tell. Unfortunately, I am not experienced enough to know why! I know that I updated the BIOS to the latest version. Despite this, the steps stated as necessary only for pre-BIOS 3309 machines in http://wiki.debian.org/DebianAcerOne#he ... cd3bfab36c still seemed to be necessary. This includes the installation of the script mentioned there (jmb38x_d3e.sh), though I think I modified it slightly - like you I am away from my AAO at the moment. I'll have a look this pm, if I get a minute.

From your post on the EasyPeasy forum, I see you have a SSD machine. Mine's a hard disk version, which may or may not make a difference.

Cheers

Tony

tonyl, Feb 23, 2009
  16. Altermac

dirkjan82

Somewhere here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=7012&start=120
    I've read that more people seem to have trouble with the card readers and Sickboy's kernel. It seems more people can't use the right card reader with that kernel installed. I've booted my Acer with an SD card in the left card reader, and it recognised the card. I could also remove it and insert it again to have it recognised again. But the right card reader didn't work, note even when I booted it with my xD card inserted. When I then booted my Acer without any cards inserted it didn't recognise any. So far that means I can use SD card with it, as long as I've got them inserted on boot. Too bad my camera uses xD cards...

dirkjan82, Feb 23, 2009
  17. Altermac

spinnekopje

I've compiled my own kernel starting from sickboy's kernel: the tweak I used on the standard intrepid still works:

Code:
    spinnekop@spinnie-one:~$ cat /etc/modules 
    # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
    #
    # This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
    # at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.

pciehp
    spinnekop@spinnie-one:~$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/aspire 
    #
    # Aspire One tweaks
    #

# Card Readers
    options pciehp pciehp_force=1
    install sdhci for i in 2381 2382 2383 2384; do /usr/bin/setpci -d 197b:$i AE=47; done; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install sdhci
    spinnekop@spinnie-one:~$ 

Both readers accept SD cards, I don't know about other types as I don't use them.

spinnekopje, Feb 24, 2009
Ask a Question