Eclipse, javac and other Linpus Queries

Discussion in 'Linux' started by FinalSin, Dec 1, 2008.

1. FinalSin

FinalSin

Hello all,

Got to work on a friend's AA1 today, and since I'm still trying to stabilise Ubuntu on mine, we decided to keep Linpus on it while I try to install the Eclipse IDE, and a few other things. Eclipse and a few other things are broken. So! Here are some questions for you:

1. I installed both Java and the JDK, agreeing to their individual terms of service, etc. etc. Java appears to work (update-alternatives shows /usr/java/latest as the selected build) but javac is showing as an unrecognised command. What gives? Is this because of PATH variables?

2. I tried installing Fedora Eclipse through the A/R Programs, and that resulted in a semi-working thing, but the Subclipse plugin seemed broken for some reason. So instead, I download the targz from their site, but that gives me a cheery "Cannot find the companion shared library." Woop-di-doo.

Any solutions to either of these? And any explanation as to why the package manager seems to be quite hit-and-miss as to whether it installs things properly? I had problems with Ubuntu as well.

Thanks.

FinalSin, Dec 1, 2008
  2. FinalSin

Altermac

I've installed Easyeclipse for Linux (PHP-Version). Works out of the box. Only unpacked to /opt, no dependecies, no packetmanager.

Altermac, Dec 2, 2008
Ask a Question