Email Program & Right Click Option

Discussion in 'Linux' started by sbonney, May 11, 2009.

1. sbonney

sbonney

Hi there. I am a complete newcomer to Linux. I have just bought an Acer Aspire One and was surprised that the email program did not have a spellchecker. I have seen a number of people talking about an alternative called 'Thunderbird' - does this have a spellchecker and can you print from it? Is it easy to install? - It all seems rather complicated! I have also read that you can somehow bring up an alternative desktop menu when you right click on the existing desktop to access an Add/Remove Software option? Is this easy to do and would I be able to download and install Thunderbird from here? Would the email program supplied be overwritten or would it still be usable after installing Thunderbird? I'm sorry if these questions have been asked before. I hope to quickly gain an understanding of Linux. Are there any books/guides to Linpus Linux Lite? Thanks. :?

sbonney, May 11, 2009
  2. sbonney

solpuerto

Hi
    Do the following to activate the right click menu,

Open Terminal, Press Alt and F2 keys together.
    Click run
    Type in xfce-setting-show then enter
    Select Desktop then the Behaviour tab
    Under Menu tick Show Desktop Menu on Right Click
    Then close the window.
    When you right mouse click on the desktop the Xfce menu will be displayed.

Add/Remove programmes is under System. I have not used Thunderbird but it is available to add under this functionality.

If it is not showing up on yours you may need to update your repositories by opening Terminal and then click run and type,

sudo yum install fedora-release then enter

Best wishes

solpuerto, May 11, 2009
  3. sbonney

sbonney

Hi. Thank you very much for your advice - I will give it a try! Hopefully I will be able to help someone else when I get a better understanding of Linux. Forum is great! Thanks again. :)

sbonney, May 12, 2009
Ask a Question