Emerald theme ?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Ness, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Ness

Ness

Discovered about an hour ago the presence of something called Emerald Theme, which seems rather cool. Unfortunately, I can't make it work. I searched the forum already and googled it, but I couldn't find any easy explanation on how to do it (actually, I could really find ANY useful information about it).
    I installed the xfce desktop switcher, and now I'd like to have a nice and pretty xfce desktop... Tried downloading some gtk themes, but I don't even know how to install them, as I'm a total linux newbie.
    Any help would be great...
    Pretty pretty please with sugar and cherry on top ? ^^

Ness, Nov 14, 2008
  2. Ness

Duncan_Rowland

Duncan_Rowland, Nov 14, 2008
  3. Ness

Ness

Doesn't work. It says that there is no package to be installed...

Ness, Nov 14, 2008
  4. Ness

Duncan_Rowland

5. Ness

Ness

Thanks, did that!
    Seems to be working, but... lots of bugs, windows title bars are acting weird when I move the mouse over them, don't fold, and the xfce desktop part is remaining ugly as ever.
    So, at the moment, not really satisfied with it. Is it just me or is the emerald themer a bit buggy ?
    What if I want to restore it to the default theme ?

Actually, when I run the fusion-icon command, it stops there :
    * Starting Compiz
    ... executing: compiz --replace --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints ccp --indirect-rendering

and never goes beyond. Bug ?

Ness, Nov 14, 2008
  6. Ness

Duncan_Rowland

No, it's working right, you can run it in the background by adding a & to the end of the line...
    $ fusion-icon &
    It should add a blue cube with an arrow in it next to the power icon at the bottom,
    click there to adjust the settings. You can also download themes for it too to make it look different. Easiest to reboot to go back to your original manager (it won't start automatically).

7. Ness

Ness

Okay !
    Thanks a lot, all is working fine now. The emerald themer window was acting weird, but after I closed it, everything went back to normal.
    Is it possible to have two different backgrounds for the xfce desktop and the acer linpus desktop ?
    Also, how to change those extremely ugly default icons for the trash, file system and home ? I know you can change them in user settings in the advanced panel, but I don't like the three icon themes there is. How to install new ones ?
    I would gladly download some themes, but apparently, no way I can move files I have downloaded to any place else... I try to cut and paste them, but no. Nothing works. Even if I log in as root. Can't rename the files (doing it in thunar), can't put new files in folders, can't remove old ones... Here, I'm talking about the xfce4 folder.

Ness, Nov 14, 2008
Ask a Question