Enable Mandriva Hibernate...

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Dulwithe, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Dulwithe

Dulwithe

Hi All,

I have 2 Acer Aspire One's. Installed Mandriva KDE 2009 in both, and both are working nearly flawlessly.

A big problem I had was hibernation. Suspend worked "out of the box", but hibernate wouldn't resume. It would lock up. I tried this with both kde4powersave AND guidance-power-manager. Presently, I have hibernate working with guidance-power-manager, but I expect it will work fine with kde4powersave as well.

Here is what I did based on a suggestion on the Mandriva forum:

Go to Mandriva Control Centre, Boot, Set up Boot (forget it's exact title), follow the dialogues until you get to the list of GRUB entries, click "Edit" while your main Mandriva title is highlighted, then....

In the area "resume" there should be a line "resume=UUID=a4really7strange3letter7number8combination". After that, if you see "splash=silent", DELETE "splash=silent".

Then, hibernate should work.

Return from hibernate takes about 50 seconds. My boot takes about 1.5 minutes. (Why do people say Mandriva has a fast boot, I am not sure.) Anyway, I find it really handy to hibernate on lid closure. Then boot up to my previous state is easy as pie. I DO NOT like to have KDE restore previous session, because if some programs (audio, video, or firefox usually) cause my desktop to crash, KDE's session manager tries to reload the exact same programs that caused the crash to begin with.

Have fun!

D.

Dulwithe, Jan 6, 2009
Ask a Question