"error 17" booting recovery-partition?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by *Cuda*, Apr 3, 2009.

1. *Cuda*

*Cuda*

hi,

bought 2 A150X and one A150L this week for me, my mom an my girlfriend.
    our old vaio n505´s an z600´s will be on ebay maybe tomorrow :)
    i wanted to use an existing xp home license on the a150l with a copied recovery-partition from one of the A150X´s, but this seems to be a bit difficult. had to use pq driveimage to copy the partition 'cause partitionmagic didnt copy the partition with correct size (always copied only 4096mb)
    had to edit the partition table manually to set the recovery-partition as first entry.
    fs-type is set to 12, cyl from 0-763, set as not bootable ...everything exact as on the a150x´s but get an "error 17" when trying to boot.
    what is this? linux boot-loader message? bios error code? is there something left i have to do to get the recovery working?

thanks for your help
    ...and greetings from germany ;)

*Cuda*, Apr 3, 2009
  2. *Cuda*

ASPECTS

Try a fresh install of XP from a genuine Microsoft installation CD then take an image from an existing Acer installation with Nortin Ghost and apply it over the new installation. Don't worry if all the drivers are not there and XP needs an activation code after 30 days - it's just a temporary measure to get Northon Ghost installed and the imaging done. I had this problem - I reckon it's something to do with losing MBR.

ASPECTS, Jun 13, 2009
Ask a Question