Error 17

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Dracor, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Dracor

Dracor

Sorry if this has been covered before tried searching. I just formated and installed windows xp sp2. I can copy files to the SSD and the dos part of windows install works fine. Once its done it says to restart, when it restarts the only thing that ever comes up is "Error 17" and no boot. Tried several xp isos same result.

Thanks

Dracor, Nov 5, 2008
  2. Dracor

osaka

I've had the same problem recently with my other Acer computer, an Apire 3000 series.

I can't go into the exact reasons since I'm not that knowledgeable or up on computer term, but basically it has something to do with Linux GRUB program (multi boot program at start up) having been left behind and then messed up by Windows.

I had windows xp and Kubuntu on my aspire. I decided to wipe it clean and reinstall everything from the original recovery discs. After formatting and reinstalling, I got the Error 17 message.

I searched the internet and found info from other people who said they fixed it by reinstalling GRUB after booting from linux discs. Instead of messing around trying fix the GRUB program, I went ahead a installed the latest version of Ubuntu. My machine is now dual booting Windows XP and Ubuntu 8.10 and the Error 17 message is gone.

Try asking this question in the Linux forum, perhaps you will get some other or better info as to what you can do.

osaka, Nov 7, 2008
  3. Dracor

Mopeto

Get a XP Startup USB
    Start, Wipe out all partition [I backup and then format recovery partition], create partitions, format.

I got this, could not uninstall the fucking Grub with the "Fixboot, FixMbr" commnads on the recovery console of xp.

Mopeto, Nov 7, 2008
  4. Dracor

Dracor

I did a fdisk /mbr at the dos prompt. This allowed the USB boot to have the menu item "Continue with XP install". Sadly shortly after I got XP installed the AAO died, and I had to get it RMA. :(

Dracor, Nov 10, 2008
Ask a Question