Error in fonts:

Discussion in 'Linux' started by legendus, Sep 16, 2008.

1. legendus

legendus

I have tried matlab, and it works perfect...but it has this error. I think it's not for matlab, because it happens to me before, in the XMMS. What can I do for that?. I think it lacks a font... or something similar. thank you for all.

legendus, Sep 16, 2008
  2. legendus

rbil

rbil, Sep 17, 2008
  3. legendus

legendus

Thank you!. But it says "where you install the new font" I don't see where to download the font gtk1 (even I don't know if it's a font). I'm sorry, I'm new in this system; and usually I don't know what to do. Thank you again mr ;)

legendus, Sep 18, 2008
  4. legendus

Grim Squeaker

Maybe this will be of assistance- it solved a similar problem I had with another program:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gtk1Fonts

Grim Squeaker, Sep 21, 2008
  5. legendus

legendus

Thank you for the fix. But it doesn't work to me. I don't know if it is because I don't know how to do it exactly (because when they say ~/.gtkrc; I don't know where is ~). So, if you can help me to fix it. I'll have to use matlab and simulink this course, and I need it works good. Thank you very much

legendus, Sep 24, 2008
  6. legendus

kevin

Well, if you're working at the command line you shouldn't need to know where ~ is, because you can just type ~. It is expanded by the shell to the user home directory. If you're not working at the command line, then you probably need to create the file

/home/user/.gtkrc

and, yes, .gtkrc does start with a full-stop :)

kevin, Sep 24, 2008
  7. legendus

legendus

Then, I did it correctly; but it doesn't work. There is something that have this installed and it works good? without the error fonts. I don't get how to fix it... thank you for all.

legendus, Sep 24, 2008
  8. legendus

kevin

I don't have Mathematica (I prefer Octave :) ) so I can't test this. Can you demonstrate how you got the problem with XMMS? I have XMMS and it works fine, but if I can replicate your problem with XMMS then at least I can investigate. At the moment it seems that the only way to get to the bottom of the problem is to install Mathematica, and I'm not too keen on that.

kevin, Sep 24, 2008
  9. legendus

legendus

I have reinstalled the xmms to show you the error. But now it works. So, simulink problem must be different. So, the fix that you have said me works, but with the xmms. What can I do with simulink? have you tried to use malab on your AAO?. thank you

legendus, Sep 25, 2008
  10. legendus

kevin

I'm sorry but, as I said, I prefer Octave. I don't think Matlab would even fit on my AAO, with all those additional bits. What Linux distributions/versions is Matlab _supposed_ to run on? Is there an official list of system requirements?

kevin, Sep 25, 2008
  11. legendus

legendus

Hi, again.

I haven't tried octave; but I have to use matlab, because it's required by my studies; so I don't have way. I know that it works good in a lot of linux distributions, even fedora. So, I think, this is a problem that it can be solved; but not by my poor linux acknowledge. There is a very good tutorial in spanish about how to install matlab and simulink; but they doesn't say nothing about this error. Well, I'll go on looking for...; if I get the fix, I'll put it here ;). Thank you

By the way, matlab works fine in AAO; at least, until I have seen.

legendus, Sep 25, 2008
  12. legendus

Grim Squeaker

By accident I might have stumbled upon the solution which is glaringly obvious with hindsight: you also need X11 fonts installed. They were automatically installed for dependencies when I installed xemacs with

Code:
    sudo yum install xemacs
    Mathematica 5 (yes, old version I know) now displays everything correctly.

Grim Squeaker, Sep 27, 2008
  13. legendus

legendus

hi, thanks!

I have done that, but when I'm going to do that; it starts to download things and when it's going to install the things; it says that there are dependencies; I don't know why...and...it's normal that it takes 223mb in downloaded files.?? When I'm going to install some of that dependencies, it says to me that it's still installed. Thank you for all ;).

legendus, Sep 28, 2008
  14. legendus

Grim Squeaker

Hmm. Did you ever update the repository info, as mentioned in.. well.. practically all topics ;) ?

Code:
    sudo yum update fedora-release
    And no, it should take less than 20 mb. Let alone 223 mb.

Grim Squeaker, Sep 30, 2008
  15. legendus

legendus

lol ;), thanks.... I haven't read it before; sorry. I'll try it in some hours, so I say you the result. Thanks!

legendus, Sep 30, 2008
  16. legendus

legendus

Hi again, i have installed a repository before, but now, I don't need, but I don't know how to remove it. I have tried to do that by the install/remove programs (software).

[user@localhost ~]$ sudo yum update fedora-release
    Setting up Update Process
    Resolving Dependencies
    --> Running transaction check
    --> Processing Dependency: fedora-release = 8 for package: cbi-package-config
    ---> Package fedora-release.noarch 0:9.91-1 set to be updated
    --> Finished Dependency Resolution
    Error: Missing Dependency: fedora-release = 8 is needed by package cbi-package-config

What can I do? , thank you very much. I'm very bad in linux xDD

legendus, Sep 30, 2008
Ask a Question