Error installing MS Office 07

Discussion in 'Windows' started by dobsy, Jan 22, 2009.

1. dobsy

dobsy

I'm trying to install Office, I'm copying the files from the CD on my main computer to my USB pen, stick the pen in the Acer, go to set up, all goes well, asks me for my code, accepts that and then after about 30 seconds fails!
    It says 'the windows installer service cannot update one or more protected windows files'

Any advice?
    Many Thanks

dobsy, Jan 22, 2009
  2. dobsy

gokgokgoker

You might not have copied all the files from the CD to the USB drive. Make sure you have any hidden files copied too.

This method actually might not work at all though. You might have to make a disk image of the Office installer (.iso) Then copy that to the USB drive and use a program like PowerISO or Alcohol to mount the image.

gokgokgoker, Jan 22, 2009
  3. dobsy

diav

That's really weird. When I installed office on my AAO150, I was able to just copy the files from the disc. Do you have the latest version of Windows Installer?

diav, Jan 22, 2009
  4. dobsy

nmesisca

Select all the files in the USB key, and disable their read-only property.
    Can happen with sources from CDs sometimes.

nmesisca, Jan 22, 2009
  5. dobsy

bzdemes

bzdemes, Jan 22, 2009
  6. dobsy

dobsy

Have tried downloading this but Windows is saying it can't open it and want's me to select from a list? sounds like I need another program to open the download! (dll fille?)

Will try the other suggestions tomorrow when I have the key with me but think this download is the answer if i can open it! Keep the help coming-much appreciated!

dobsy, Jan 23, 2009
  7. dobsy

bzdemes

You don't need to open or run that file. You just need to save it and copy it to the right folder and overwrite the existing version if there is one. For me there was and it windows said something along the lines of you shouldn't replace this file then tried to get me to insert the windows disk and return the original i basically told it no i wanna keep the changed one. Then office installed fine.

bzdemes, Jan 23, 2009
  8. dobsy

dobsy

Exactly the same for me too-although there was'nt an existing file to overwrite.

All sorted now, installed no problems! Thanks very much for your help-another person I owe a pint to!

dobsy, Jan 23, 2009
  9. dobsy

jeremysdad

A solution for anyone else who ha this problem:

Go to Microsoft's website, and download a trial of whichever version of Office 2007 that you own a key for. Install it, then convert it to a full version with the product key that you already own. Problem solved. I have done this like five times now, and it has worked every time. :)

jeremysdad, Jan 23, 2009
Ask a Question