Error with XP install on Aspire One AOA150

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Kev08, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Kev08

Kev08

I bought a brand new Aspire One AOA a couple of weeks ago and love it very much. I added 1GB of RAM and the system sees it without any problem. Linpus works great with the 1.5GB it currently has. The system has a 120GB hard drive.

I want to clean out the Linpus OS and install Windows XP in the system. I boot up XP from my original XP CD in an external USB DVD drive. Windows loads all the driver files upto a point where it says "starting windows". Then I get the blue screen of death (BSOD) with an error message 0x0000007B. I cannot get past this stage; and hope someone can give me some advice as to what this error message means and how to install XP in it.

Kev08

Kev08, Aug 29, 2008
  2. Kev08

cytech

cytech, Aug 29, 2008
  3. Kev08

Guest Guest

It seems to me your bootgdevice (external drive) is the problem. Can you try an other external drive?

Guest, Aug 29, 2008
  4. Kev08

Kev08

Cytech, What kind of HDD issues can it have? It is a brand new system.
    Kev08

Kev08, Aug 30, 2008
  5. Kev08

cytech

and PC parts never get delivered defect :roll: theres always a chance to get bum hardware, or some idiot in the shop who drops the box and puts it back on the shelf etc.

try and organise a boot disk/thumbstick and run chkdsk or some other diag tool, you may just be unlucky and have corrupt sectors on the drive or may use a different installer maybe yours is fubar.

cytech, Aug 30, 2008
  6. Kev08

Kev08

Thanks for your suggestions.
    Would someone know the commands to test memory or run hard drive diagnostics in Linpus? It is not the memory because I took the 1GB RAM that I added out and with its onboard 512MB, I still cannot install Windows XP.

Kev08, Aug 31, 2008
  7. Kev08

gadgetman

I too get the same error when trying to install XP - I have a brand new AAO150L and want to load windows xp pro on it. The above suggestions indicate the use of a different external drive to boot and load XP. I can't get my hands on another usb cdrom drive, but would the various guides that show how to make a bootable usb stick with XP installation image help or would I be wasting my time?

I'd be keen to hear how people resolved this particular error.

Thanks

gadgetman, Sep 13, 2008
  8. Kev08

gadgetman

Update...

I had an early version of XP Pro (the original so I'm guessing it was without appropriate drivers or something similar). This kept showing the BSOD during installation. However I used XP Home (I think a later version) and this worked. So, I'm guessing that it had to do with the XP Home having the later drivers for the controllers or similar.

Your mileage may vary but this route worked for me. :D

Next problem I'm on the latest bios 3114 and I find the fan makes too much noise. There are some alpha and beta tools out there that allow the fan to be controlled but all they seem to do is delay what temperature the fan kicks in. Doesn't actually seem to vary the speed of the fan. I search the forum further but if anyone can PM me with a solution that would be great!
    ;)

gadgetman, Sep 14, 2008
  9. Kev08

peterjbennett

I bought the 1gb ram 120gb HDD version with Linpus. I had always intended to install
    XP Pro since I had a spare copy. What a mistake!

I have tried every method posted in the various forums but every time when
    it reaches the point of "Starting Windows" I get the BSOD.

I have even made a bootable USB stick, formatted the HDD (FAT32) and made it bootable. Then copied the
    XP disc (Slipstreamed SP3) onto the HDD and tried the installation from there.

Same result.

I have run out of ideas now. Can anyone help?

peterjbennett, Oct 2, 2008
  10. Kev08

Tamrac

This may help almost everyone that has this problem.... I know this maybe "a bit" illegal. Download a newer ISO of Windows XP(Home or Pro) w/ SP3. Before reacting, since you guys have spare XP licenses, you still use your LEGAL CD-key. It's just the installer w/c is different, of w/c you are still entitled to having actually. Since we can update to SP3 via windows update if our orig CD are not SP3. So there, either download or better yet. Borrow an XP SP3 installation CD. I think that will solve the problem. Since our AAO is very new, maybe some old files on the original XP disks are causing the BSOD. Good luck. Mine worked perfectly out of my XP Home SP3 btw.

Tamrac, Oct 3, 2008
  11. Kev08

peterjbennett

Thanks Tamrac

That solved the problem. I downloaded an ISO of XP Pro SP 2 and used my own key. It installed with no problems,
    After many hours of frustration I finally have my AAO set up the way I want. I had almost given up hope.

Thanks again

peterjbennett, Oct 12, 2008
  12. Kev08

Tamrac

No problem bro. Glad you solved the problem and can now just sit back and enjoy your AAO. ;)

Tamrac, Oct 13, 2008
  13. Kev08

klawman19

Just want to share my experience as well when I installed XP on my AAO. I used nLite and tried to be too cute, eliminating every possible component that I didn't want. Upon booting, I had BSOD too, so I finally figured out that Windows didn't like whatever component I was not installing. So I just put on an almost full XP. Voila, worked!

klawman19, Oct 21, 2008
Ask a Question