etracer too slow

Discussion in 'Linux' started by zeno, Sep 17, 2008.

1. zeno

zeno

Hiya,

I have seen various posts about the slow performance of extremetuxracer (etracer) on Linpus but no resolution. Hence I thought I start a separate thread on this in case someone has actually found a solution to this. I own an eee 701 as well as an Aspire One and the game comes pre-installed and running smoothly on the eee. However, when I installed it on the Aspire One, it is incredibly slow and unplayable.

I have updated to the intel 2.2.1 driver provided by annafil on this board but sadly this didn't make any difference to etracer.

Anyone got any ideas (except for upgrading to another more up-to-date distro like Ubuntu which doesn't seem to have this problem)?

Cheers,

Zeno

zeno, Sep 17, 2008
  2. zeno

zeno

Hiya again,

I have now tried Mandriva 2009 and Ubuntu-eee (which works a treat on the One) and both show exactly the same behaviour, ie etracer runs in slow motion. So I can't quite believe it's a graphics card driver issue anymore.

Anyone get any other ideas of what I could try to improve the performance of etracer (it's one game my son loves on the eee 701 and which I don't seem to be able to get working on the Aspire one 110L).

Cheers,
    Zeno

zeno, Nov 8, 2008
  3. zeno

imarune

I just installed and tried it : it runs very smoothly on my One (Fedora 9 modified)

If your results with glxgears are under 300 fps, you can try :
    http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4444&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
    or more accurate for linpus :
    http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4256

BTW, I installed recently the latest driver (xorg-x11-drv-i810-2.5.0-1.fc10) and the latest kernel (2.6.28-rc3) which improve a lot i915 and drm modules (xorg-x11-drv_i810 needs them). So perhaps the mtrr's hack is not sufficient by itself (my glxgears results is now 900 fps)

imarune, Nov 9, 2008
  4. zeno

zeno

Hi Imarune,

the following post in the second link worked a treat.

<quote>
    Put this:
    echo "disable=4" > /proc/mtrr
    echo "base=0x1f800000 size=0x800000 type=write-back" > /proc/mtrr
    in your rc.S right after the line:
    /etc/rc.d/rc.last &
    Putting it in rc.local will not work since X have already started.
    </quote>

etracer now runs smoothly on my AspireOne and glxgears runs at about 940-950 FPS.

Certainly not a very obvious modification to make...

Thank you very much on behalf of my son!

Cheers,
    Zeno

zeno, Nov 9, 2008
  5. zeno

imarune

Perfect! But, honestly I can't play this game for more than 2 or 3 minutes (yes, I am an old man :D )

AmitiƩs, imarune

imarune, Nov 9, 2008
Ask a Question