Everyone sounds like Mickey and Minnie Mouse

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by acerbob, Jan 21, 2009.

1. acerbob

acerbob

My only complaint about the Acer One is that when you are listening to people talking, everyone sounds like they just swallowed helium and that they are the offspring of Mickey Mouse. You can understand what they are saying perfectly, it just sounds bizarre. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

acerbob, Jan 21, 2009
  2. acerbob

acerbob

I have been playing around with the realtek sound effects in the control panel and I managed to get rid of the echo sound by moving the effect to "none" from "cave." That made a huge difference. Although, it's still not perfect. Obama and Bush both sound a little like they swallowed helium before they started speaking when I play audio of them and I can't get the equalizer to make them sound normal human beings. Do I have a bad computer, or is this just the way the sound quality is and there's nothing I can do about it?

acerbob, Jan 22, 2009
  3. acerbob

yachtpro

The realtek sound effects will help some if you experiment with them. Sound quality is one of the biggest complaints with the AAO. I haven't had mine apart to do the RAM upgrade but I expect that they might not even be real speakers, only something like piezo discs like are used in the old desktops to beep and chirp during POST. They are probably the size of a dime or nickle anyway and wouldn't have much quality to them at that size. Stereo headphones can be used, and then the sound is fine, depending again on your settings and the quality of the headphones. You can get some pretty wild effects messing with the realtek controls. Pick something that is tolerable out of those tiny speakers and live with it, or get a GOOD portable speaker system made for MP3 players or use headphones.

yachtpro, Jan 22, 2009
  4. acerbob

acerbob

Those are good points, although I knew something wasn't right when I tried headphones and it made absolutely no difference. I brought it into the place where I purchased it, they listened to it for about 5 seconds and said it was a bad machine and gave me a new one. It's like night and day how much better this one is. I had on file an audio clip of a deep-voiced man talking and the guy at the store thought that it was a woman at first because it converted his voice into a high-pitched, Micky Mouse-type effect.

acerbob, Jan 23, 2009
  5. acerbob

jackluo923

You probably changed the karoke setting and it changed the pitch of the audio.

jackluo923, Mar 21, 2009
Ask a Question