Everything Totally Corrupted

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Guest, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I have an Acer aspire One (D150Bk). I tried to load Win 7 on top of XP (via a USB stick) and managed to currupt everything. I have looked at everything in this forum, I have checked that D2D is enabled in the Boot, and tried restoring using Alt + F10 which does not work. I phoned Acer's expensive help line and spoke with someone in Inda (who I could barely understand) who offered to sell me the restore disc's for £50 ($76 US) and I now find (or it would be simpler) to buy a USB DVD player at an additional cost of £70 ($106 US).

I have had many Laptops (mainly Toshibs's) and PC's in my day, but this is my first Acer. I can't believe how expensive and poor the after sales and service is, I have never had any after sale service problems, with the exception of an early Packard Bell...I even bought a Toshiba Laptop in New Zealand and they gave the System Disc's for free on request. This Netbook is turning out to be a bit of a 'Red herring' and every bit as expensive as a High end laptop. I realise I should have burned the system disc's, but I didn't think I would have to go to the trouble of buying a DVD burner.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get this 'thing' back to the factory state, as I don't see why I should pay for 'Arms and Leg's' when all I wanted was a simple netbook.

thanks for any help

Guest, Mar 15, 2010
  2. Guest

melhiore

There is many ways of restoring OS into netbook. Unfortunatelly easies way of doing this is using external CD/DVD player and perform clean install/restore from CD...

melhiore, Mar 15, 2010
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for your reply. Is there any way I can format everything (including the Acer partition) and put a clean installation on this machine without needing the Acer recovery discs. After complaining I just got a call from Acer and they still want £50 for this. I would rather scrap this thing than hand over a further £50 to encourage a crap service.

Guest, Mar 18, 2010
  4. Guest

Swarvey Moderator

All you need is an external CD/DVD-RW or USB drive and an installation disk for your chocie of operating system. Supposing you opt for Windows 7:

Using the USB CD/DVD-RW drive, either boot from the disk, or create yourself a Bootable USB drive with the installation source on it. The easiest is just to use the disk. When the installation starts, you choose your language and keyboard layout. Follow the prompts for a clean install (non-upgrade) until you get to the partition setup.

This is where I choose to use the command prompt to clean the disk of all partitions in one foul swoop. Press SHIFT+F10 to bring up the command prompt. Now type "Diskpart" and press enter to enter diskpart mode, now type "Select Disk 0" and press enter to select your primary hard drive. Now type "Clean" and press enter, conirm the action and wait a few seconds. Your hard drive will be now completely empty of all data and partitions.

Close the command prompt and return to the installation, refresh the disk layout, and proceed with the installation. Windows 7 Setup will automatically configure your hard drive as it sees fit.

Complete the installation and you're done.

Hope this helps :)

Swarvey, Mar 18, 2010
  5. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply,
    Update - I complained to Acer about the problems I was experiencing and I got one of those 'sorry letters, we will reply to you complaint within 10 days' but the only thing I got was a call asking for payment for Recovery Disks, and a month later I still heard nothing back. I have since returned the Netbook to Acer and they did a factory reinstall and returned the Netbook. I bought a DVD drive so I could burn the restore disks, but it turns out the Netbook came back from Acer and the software was corrupted and no better. I got so sick of the Netbook that I returned it to the shop and took a 10% loss in order that I could exchange it for a Toshiba NB305 which works beautifully. I have since complained to Acer about their poor service and their unwillingness to reply and another 'sorry/10 day reply' generic letter arrived today. I am now proud to say I am no longer a owner of an Acer, however I would like to thank you for your reply and trying to assist.

Guest, Apr 10, 2010
Ask a Question