excellent news! Mandriva 2009 works!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by steven.chien, Oct 10, 2008.

1. steven.chien

steven.chien

according to Mandriva:
    {
    Netbook friendly

Back when Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring was released, a certain small computer was causing a bit of a stir in the PC world - the original Asus Eee PC. We recognized it for the game-changer it was, and built 2008 Spring to be Eee-friendly - the first mainstream distribution to integrate polished support for the little system. Now that original Eee has given birth to a whole family of Eee models and inspired a host of netbooks from other manufacturers, Mandriva Linux 2009 is keeping pace.

2009 includes full hardware support for every currently available Eee model. We have worked together with the Mandriva Eee user community throughout the development of 2009. We have used the original Eee as one of our main test machines in performance and usability testing, to make sure Mandriva Linux 2009 boots quickly, performs speedily and is fully usable on the Eee. All the Mandriva configuration tools have been tested and tweaked where appropriate to fit into the lower resolution screens common on netbooks, and we have also tweaked some third-party applications for this restraint. As mentioned earlier, we've included the lightweight LXDE desktop in the Mandriva Linux 2009 repositories with an eye to netbook users. And going beyond the Eee, Mandriva Linux 2009 includes excellent out-of-the-box compatibility with other popular netbooks, such as the Acer Aspire One, MSI Wind and more. If you've got a netbook, Mandriva Linux 2009 may just be its new best friend!

I hope this is true, this is the excellent chance to get rid of that ..what called Linpus

steven.chien, Oct 10, 2008
  2. steven.chien

scops

i'm downloading the iso at the moment and will try it this evening :)

scops, Oct 10, 2008
  3. steven.chien

steven.chien

O great! would you kindly post the result here so that every one can see that? :p

4. steven.chien

scops

if i get it to boot o_O i just must find a way to boot it off a usb stick... :( (unetbootlin dont work with mandriva 2009)

scops, Oct 10, 2008
  5. steven.chien

steven.chien

6. steven.chien

scops

no this uses 2007.1....

i got a solution... its very simple and works!
    BUT: It's netinstall!
    (i'm installing at the moment)

Here is the howto (for a Linux or Mac OX X box):
    1.) Download following file:
    http://ftp.free.fr/mirrors/ftp.mandriva ... es/all.img to your home folder
    2.) Put in your USB Stick
    3.) Open up your Terminal (xterm,gnome-terminal, .... on linux and Terminal.app on OSX (/Applications/Utilities/))
    4.) Check which device your usbstick is... just type "df" in the terminal window. (on linux its mostly /dev/sdb1 and on OSX /dev/disk1s1 or disk2s1)
    5.) Unmount it if it was mounted automatically (on OSX just deactivate it with the Disk Utility!)
    6.) now type the following command with care! make sure you know which device your usb stick is!
    Code:
    dd if=all.img of=/dev/sdb
    or on OSX:
    Code:
    dd if=all.img of=/dev/disk2
    7.) if you get something like the following output its done:
    Code:
    25180+0 records in
    25180+0 records out
    12892160 bytes transferred in 17.303914 secs (745043 bytes/sec)

8.) unplug your usb stick and put it into your aspire one.
    9.) boot it and if you see the ASUS bootscreen press F12.
    10.) select your USB stick in the list and press enter.

just a note: the netinstall only works with lan cable! no wifi there!

have fun :)

scops, Oct 10, 2008
  7. steven.chien

Elllipsis

Personally I am guessing by works they mean works alright enough. Generally all distros (that are currently under development) should be in a similar state with AA1 compatibility because that is mostly due to the kernel. There are special cases such as Linpus in which the kernal and other components have been optimized but that takes a long time/inefficient and can break compatibility with other hardware.

Rather generally: Once it starts working with one distribution it will work with them all.

Elllipsis, Oct 10, 2008
  8. steven.chien

neomaximus2k

if the download is an ISO image then I should be able to create a bootable usb key how big is iso?

neomaximus2k, Oct 10, 2008
  9. steven.chien

melhiore

Mostly size of one CD (about 650-670MB)

melhiore, Oct 10, 2008
  10. steven.chien

neomaximus2k

well about to catch the train home now, should be back around 8 so can download it then and host the bootable data on one of my servers

neomaximus2k, Oct 10, 2008
  11. steven.chien

melhiore

True indeed. However some distros are better prepared to support notebooks/netbooks due to different sort of software installed as default... But it's only for users who wants system working out-of-the-box w/o tweaking it or adding any software "manually"...

melhiore, Oct 10, 2008
  12. steven.chien

scops

ok now i'm using mandriva. it works nice... the sd card doesnt need to be in while booting, webcam works, sound works, wifi works, suspend to ram and disk works... all is nice and fast... BUT: mic dont work and the right cardreader also doesnt work.

but it looks more complete and feels faster as ubuntu 8.10 beta.

ah and... after installing the KDE desktop there are 5 GB free disk space! (7gb Rootpartition)

:) i will stay with mandriva i think.

scops, Oct 10, 2008
  13. steven.chien

westonpf

For me the right-hand card reader works with SD cards but nothing else, I have tried with XD and Memory Stick.

Wifi LED doesn't work and sound does not move from speakers when plugging in headphones. I have seen a fix posted but this didn't work for me.

westonpf, Oct 10, 2008
  14. steven.chien

madhatter

I tried to use UNetbootin to put the iso image on my USB Stick and to boot from.

but after booting I get only a busy box 1.6.1 console screen

cannot run /etc/init.d/rsS : no such file or directory

please enter to activate this console.

Im not able to boot the mandriva 2009.0 from the USB stick.

madhatter, Oct 10, 2008
  15. steven.chien

Rotlaus

UNetbootin doesn't work with Mandriva 200 yet. Try the Method from this Post. I'm installing right now and so far everything works.

Rotlaus, Oct 10, 2008
  16. steven.chien

Andysan

I've installed Mandriva with the default settings on my first attempt and everything is very slow - as i type this with just Firefox running, the letters are only appearing a few seconds after i type them.

Could somebody tell me what settings to use and where to use them in the installer please - i kept expecting it to question me regarding ext2/ext3, swap partition etc... but it never did!

Also, to the people who are finding this pretty speedy, have you got desktop effects on/off, and if so whic ones as i like the effects but also want the speed, and are you rocking the 512MB RAM or 1GB?

Thanks!

Andysan, Oct 11, 2008
  17. steven.chien

tot31

Anyone who has downloaded the LiveOne CD and want to run it from a usb stick, just go to this site http://lordikc.free.fr/wordpress/?page_id=158, and follow the instructions. This method for me is better than using the all.img method.

As for installation question, I'm using the custom partition where I created the ext2 partitions instead of ext3 because to avoid progressive writing to my usb stick on journaling filesystem (ext3). I'm using the 3D effects of kwin (built in 3D effects of KDE4) not compiz (if you're using GNOME you can use compiz). My AAO comes with 1GB RAM.

tot31, Oct 11, 2008
  18. steven.chien

donec

Mandriva 2009 LiveOne CD is there one? If so where can I get it? I downloaded Mandriva 2009 but there was an option of disk 1 or 2 and neither is a live CD only disk 1 is an install disk.

donec, Oct 11, 2008
  19. steven.chien

Fuerst

Hi Andysan,

according to Mandriva-people, they themselves suggest for netbook-users to install a different surface and not kde. I haven't
    installed it yet, but one should certainly not use a 3d-desktop on a 512 mb/8GB machine. they themselves suggest 1GB of Ram

cheers
    Christian

Fuerst, Oct 12, 2008
  20. steven.chien

mgmayo27

Go to http://mandriva.com/en/download/free and choose a mirror location. Whenever you click the mirror link, it defaults to a KDE Live CD, but if you right-click and copy the mirror URL, then paste it into the URL bar, you can then view all the .iso's, .md5's, etc.

I'm a GNOME person, so I personally recommend downloading the file "mandriva-linux-one-2009-GNOME-int-cdrom-i586.iso"

I've downloaded the .iso, but I'm out of town and I don't have my netbook with me. I'll be testing it out when I get back home, as well as installing the 1 GB of RAM I ordered for it at crucial.com. I'll post my results in this thread.

mgmayo27, Oct 12, 2008
Ask a Question