excellent news! Mandriva 2009 works!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by steven.chien, Oct 10, 2008.

1. steven.chien

donec

Thanks mgmayo27, That is just what I needed to know. I used to be a KDE person but I have been changing my attitudes since I got my AA1 and am leaning more towards Gnome also.

donec, Oct 12, 2008
  2. steven.chien

westonpf

Gnome seems to be running a lot quicker than KDE, not done any speed tests or anything so just my perception.

With latest updates installed even the wifi LED works.

westonpf, Oct 12, 2008
  3. steven.chien

grwkak

Installe, tried it - everything seemed fine. Booted this morning - lost WiFi. Could not get it to pick up my wireless network. Takes about 1 min 15 secs from pressing power button to desktop. Anyway I am going back to the Linpus Lite for now.

One odd thing I noticed while using Mandriva - the HD activity light kept going on and off. Never saw that with Linpus. I had set up the system to be ext2.

I am encouraged but I do like that there is "no" tweaking with Linpus.

Guy

grwkak, Oct 12, 2008
  4. steven.chien

mgmayo27

One thing to take note of is that Mandriva doesn't use the same Network Manager as most other distros use. I'd suggest either looking into the options of that Network Manager some more (because even with the Mandriva 2009 Release Candidate, I never lost a connection) or just download the Network Manager that you see in other distros like Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Fedora, etc. I don't know the exact package name, but I'm sure you can find it fairly easily. Most likely, it's in Add/Remove programs, but if not, then just find a repository to add.

Once I install Mandriva 2009 Final on my machine, I'll try it out and see how it works.

mgmayo27, Oct 12, 2008
  5. steven.chien

dack001

Posting this with Mandriva on my Acer :lol:
    Installation was really easy, even for a linux-beginner like me.
    Looks good, startup-time is longer than with linpus but i can live with that.
    KDE4 works fine, but i have the 1gig model, i dont think it would be good with only 512 megs of ram.
    Wlan.LED is not working, i will have to try those cardreaders tomorrow.
    The FN-Keys to change the volume are not working, and skype seems to have problems with my audio module.

dack001, Oct 12, 2008
  6. steven.chien

Tamrac

I was thinking of installing this on my AAO. 1:15s bootime? That's too long since my XP install boots in 40sec. :cry:

Tamrac, Oct 13, 2008
  7. steven.chien

charly

Installed it yesterday and it seems to work fine except i keep losing my wlan connection. :cry:
    'ny one got a fix for that yet?

Have not had time to do more test yet, i'll post some updates this week / next weekend depending on how much time i have to play

charly, Oct 13, 2008
  8. steven.chien

hombrelobo

dack001, try to disconnect, in the Skype options, Audio settings, "Let Skype adjust my audio settings".

I had plenty of problems with Skype in ubuntu until I disconneted that option.

By the way, is the mic working ?

hombrelobo, Oct 13, 2008
  9. steven.chien

donec

I tried it and gave up and went back to Onelinux mostly because I could not find a way to place my home directory on a separate disk. Also not that I use it but there was no program for the webcam cheese did not work.

donec, Oct 13, 2008
  10. steven.chien

mgmayo27

I installed Mandrive 2009 One (GNOME) last night right after adding 1GB of RAM to my netbook, and the overall performance is nice even with Compiz Fusion enabled. I haven't tested out the mic or the webcam (I have no use for them, anyway), but all the other hardware seems to work. I've read how people said that their LED for the wireless signal didn't work, but mine works fine. All the other lights (hard drive, caps lock, battery, etc) work normally, too.

My only complaint is that Mandriva seems to have shaved off a bit of the battery life. With Linpus Lite, I was averaging 2 to 2.5 hours of battery life (and I could get 3 if I made the screen very dim). With Mandriva, I'm averaging 1:45, and I'm lucky to get 2 hours. I'm also thinking about testing Ubuntu 8.10 beta, or just waiting for the final release of it to come out.

mgmayo27, Oct 13, 2008
  11. steven.chien

dack001

Couldn't test the micro yet, hombrelobo, sorry :(
    But thanks for the advice with the sound, i will try this out later.
    Seems that i have to install linpus to another partition (so it will likely be a tripple-boot system with WinXP, Linpus and Mandriva, so yay for my 110 gig harddrive^^), because mandriva is draining my battery like hell :evil:
    Its a wonderful OS, but with such a low battery life, i can only use it while i am plugged in.
    Sadly, the FN-Button to switch between internal and external monitor doesn't work, but i can live with that.
    The one other thing that doesn't work and that REALY bothers me is ne non-functioning switching between built-in speakers and plugged-in headphones. Even if i plug them in, i still get sound from the speakers, so no Axxis for me in the library :cry:
    I hope this will get fixed soon, because beside those two flaws, Mandriva did an amazing job with this OS.
    If Suse didn't have such abysmal wlan-capabilities, i would have tried to install it on my acer, but as it stands now, i don't regret switching to Mandriva 2009 :geek:

dack001, Oct 13, 2008
  12. steven.chien

XE1UFO

My install went fine, and the WiFi works, but NOT the wired ethernet connection. The WiFi light does not work. Can somebody help me tweek this?

By the way, the left memory card reader works fine, but NOT the right one. When I pop in a card on the left one, a window opens that says "Open with Dolphin".

Thanks in advance!

Dr. Steve, central old Mexico

XE1UFO, Oct 13, 2008
  13. steven.chien

dcom222

I had this issue to and fixed it by adding this line:

options snd_hda_intel model=auto

to /etc/modprobe.conf

dcom222, Oct 14, 2008
  14. steven.chien

charly

I'm still having trouble with the wireless settings. It works until i reboot, then if i check in the network manager it's there but it seems to switch the encryption type back to default for some reason. (should be on wep preshared key).

Can some one please help me figure out what i did wrong? It so frustrating the connection WORKS, it just won't stick :(

I have the A one with the one gig ram and 120 gig hd.
    I use a router thats not broadcasting / whitelisted mac adres / WEP preshared key

-Downloaded mandriva 2009 'one'
    -Made a bootable USB using syslinux
    -Booted mandriva from usb and installed

charly, Oct 14, 2008
  15. steven.chien

dack001

Thanks, but somehow im not able to do this.
    If i open the file via "kwrite /etc/modprobe.conf" in the terminal (even when logged in as su), kwrite opens with some errors and without opening the modprobe.conf :(
    I then tried to replace the old .conf with a altered copy, but somehow i don't get the right commands for cpio (never worked with mandriva before and i'm a linux-newbie).
    Could you tell me the exact commands you were using to alter the conf?
    Thanks in advance!
    dack001

dack001, Oct 15, 2008
  16. steven.chien

westonpf

Try opening as su with 'gedit /etc/modprobe.conf'

I have had problems with kwrite but gedit worked.

westonpf, Oct 15, 2008
  17. steven.chien

crazy_flieger

Hello,

I have Probs with the right Card Reader (Left is working fine) in my A150. It will not work! Any Ideas?

Best regards
    ... Joerg

crazy_flieger, Oct 15, 2008
  18. steven.chien

Rofa

Had the same problem - gone back to 2008 Spring. There I could at least get them to work by clicking in and out - not an elegant solution of course. No doubt it will all come out in the wash - eventually.

Rofa, Oct 15, 2008
  19. steven.chien

dack001

tried another (terminal-based) text editor and it worked perfectly :D

dack001, Oct 15, 2008
  20. steven.chien

floor9

floor9, Oct 17, 2008
Ask a Question