extend macOSX partition

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by jermzkill, Oct 31, 2008.

1. jermzkill

jermzkill

I have installed mac osx on my AAO and it's great. Originally I was planning to use it as a secondary OS so I partition half of my hard drive for XP. Although, I like OSX so much I want to have my 160gb hard drive dedicated to only OSX. At the OSX instillation I did a 2 partion one being the max osx and the other being just blank space. Is there any way that I can add that blank space to my current OSX partition? Thanks!!

jermzkill, Oct 31, 2008
  2. jermzkill

SticMAN

did you use MBR or GUID?

GUID
    You can go to Disk Utility, click 0n the drive not the partition, and drag the bottom left corner of the blue block that shows your HHD, to its full size!
    MBR
    open Terminal

sudo -s
    <password>(yours)
    diskutil list <this should show you your two partitions, disk0s1 and disk0s2, and your MacOSX should be on disk0s1

now type the following, with all the inverted commas included:

diskutil mergepartitions "Journaled HFS+" New disk0s1 disk0s2

The use of the word New is for cosmetic purpose only your first partition will keep its original name, this will merge disk0s2 with disk0s1 without removing anything thus a NON-DESTRUCTIVE merge!

you can if you want first go to Disk Utilities and format the second partition HFS+ but it shouldn't make a difference!

SticMAN
    ps I'm not just typing this I have actually done this more than once!!

SticMAN, Nov 1, 2008
  3. jermzkill

jermzkill

thanks for the help, i'll try it out in a little... one quick question.. after I extend this partition, and if later i decide i want linux or xp can I shorten the partition again?

jermzkill, Nov 2, 2008
Ask a Question