External Battery pack

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by fcuco, Apr 9, 2016.

1. fcuco

fcuco

What's your experience with external battery packs but for laptops not for smartphones or tables?

Are you better off buying a whole new extra battery for your laptop and not wasting your money on external and more universal battery packs? This only if your laptop allows you change and replace the battery so Macs are out of the equation, perhaps that's why the only models of external packs that I seem to find are for the Mac Air.

Having some extra battery juice for emergencies sounds nice but I don;t know if the technology is there yet.

fcuco, Apr 9, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. fcuco

IBMPC8088

It's usually cheaper just to have a spare battery that you keep charged. As you know there are some laptops that will let you do this, and others that won't let you swap the battery out while it's plugged in or doesn't provide for a way to do that easily. The Battery Backup/UPS system is nice because it's universal for literally anything you can plug in to it, but it's always been really clunky and expensive compared to your alternatives.

Macs and Apple products probably won't give that feature to people anytime in the near future since they like to nickel and dime the customer so much for things that are standard to keep up appearances. I would be really surprised if they did later.

A battery backup can be worth the money if you use it for keeping multiple things on battery temporarily and save you hassle later, but if it's just for a laptop and it's for a model that permits users to swap the battery out while on the charger, then that will always be cheaper to have spare power for.

The technology has always been there, but the market runs the direction of where and when ultimately.

IBMPC8088, Apr 11, 2016
  3. fcuco

FenWoFon

I personally think that those external battery packs are kinda 'low quality' I do not really know way too much aboutthem but in my opinion I would never buy one of those, I would rather buy the original battery and replace it instead of buying some generic stuff, that is my opinion though.

FenWoFon, Apr 15, 2016
  4. fcuco

Corzhens

Although I haven't considered getting an extra battery pack for my laptop, I think that is a good idea especially for people on the go. My laptop is for official use in the office so I seldom bring it along when I am on a vacation trip. But if I have my personal laptop, I would probably get a spare battery so I would not be restricted to using my laptop near an electric socket. But, of course, if the cost is not exorbitant.

Corzhens, Apr 15, 2016
Ask a Question