External HDD question

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by oldskooladdict, Aug 25, 2008.

1. oldskooladdict

oldskooladdict

I have seen a rather nice Seagate external portable HDD,
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/07/24 ... eagent_go/

By default it comes formatted as NTFS, the article indicates that non Windows users should reformat to FAT32 - I assume I will have to do that (which is fine, as it's simple enough, and I am aware of the large file size restrictions, but that will not be an issue)

This HDD, like many other portable ones, takes its power from the PC - it has 2 USB cables - one for data and one for power - which join to form one connection to the HDD its self - I assume this will be OK on the AA1? - How much of a battery drain is it likely to be?

I know the review mentions the other applications bump up the price and they don't work when formatted, but this doesn't bother me as I have found a decent price on it, making it cheaper than a bare bones 80gb one.

So, ultimately, will this work with the AA1 and is it likely to reduce the battery considerably?

oldskooladdict, Aug 25, 2008
  2. oldskooladdict

retsaw

You can get NTFS support by installing ntfs-3g.

I believe to format a drive with a FAT filesystem on Linpus you'll need to install dosfstools, this will provide command line tools for formatting to a FAT filesystem, and gparted will provide a GUI frontend for these tools.

The power connector should be okay to power the drive, my rather old external drive works with two USB cables to power it, I expect newer drives might be a bit more power efficient and will maybe work with just one, I believe someone on these forums has reported running their external drive with just one connector. As to battery life, I don't really know, but I'd expect it to reduce it by about 30 minutes.

retsaw, Aug 29, 2008
Ask a Question