External monitor resolution weirdness

Discussion in 'Windows' started by JimmiG, Dec 28, 2008.

1. JimmiG

JimmiG

Hi all. I've been using my Aspire One together with a 19" CRT for a while. Ever since I started using it, the system has been acting a little strange.

Every time I boot the system without a monitor connected, Windows defaults to 800x600. I have to manually change it to 1024x600. If I reboot the system, the display is once again set to 800x600.

When I start the system with the external monitor connected and the LCD switched off, it always defaults to 1920x1200 at 60Hz. If I change it to my preferred res, 1280x1024 at 85Hz, it sticks, but then resets to 19x12 after the next reboot.

It's not a huge deal but it's a bit annoying having to change the resolution every time I log in. Never experienced anything like this before. Why doesn't XP remember my monitor settings?

JimmiG, Dec 28, 2008
  2. JimmiG

Forone

First thing I'd check is that settings are the same in both the Microsoft and the Intel "properties" boxes. Rt-click desktop "Graphics Properties / Display Settings" for the Intel, and "Properties / Settings" for the Microsoft.

Forone, Dec 28, 2008
  3. JimmiG

JimmiG

The settings are the same, but it seems to work better if you use the Intel control panel instead of the normal Windows display properties to change the res. At least the LCD sticks to 1024x600 now. Not sure about the CRT, going to do some more testing.

Edit: Yep, using the Intel settings and not touching the Windows display properties settings works like a charm. It even remembers the separate resolutions for the CRT and the LCD now. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction :)

JimmiG, Dec 28, 2008
Ask a Question