external monitor shows POST/bios as default wants changed

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by leokendall, Apr 20, 2010.

1. leokendall

leokendall

aspire d250 no boot screen on pri display only ext monitor

Was using the net-book, shut it down normal, the next day, didn't have no acer boot screen, and no touch pad. i hooked up an external monitor to test the screen lcd screen and everything was showing up on the external monitor. Nothing showed up on the net-book screen until after the windows xp was loaded and the splash screen show up. then the displays switched from the monitor to to the net-book. I did a system recovery, didn't work, tried to reinstall the drivers nothing different. I upgraded the Bios and that got the touch pad working again but the boot screen still only shows up on the external monitor. any ideas?
    Everything still works, start the computer without the external monitor hooked up, wait a minuet with a black screen (not even powered on) and then the screen right before the desktop show up and then the desktop.

Net-book only 3 days old, bought on clearance so no return.
    Acer aspire one d250-1821.

leokendall, Apr 20, 2010
  2. leokendall

leokendall

Was using the net-book, shut it down normal, the next day, didn't have no acer boot screen, and no touch pad. i hooked up an external monitor to test the screen lcd screen and everything was showing up on the external monitor. Nothing showed up on the net-book screen until after the windows xp was loaded and the splash screen show up. then the displays switched from the monitor to to the net-book. I did a system recovery, didn't work, tried to reinstall the drivers nothing different. I upgraded the Bios and that got the touch pad working again but the boot screen still only shows up on the external monitor. any ideas?
    Everything still works, start the computer without the external monitor hooked up, wait a minuet with a black screen (not even powered on) and then the screen right before the desktop show up and then the desktop.

Net-book only 3 days old, bought on clearance so no return.
    Acer aspire one d250-1821.
    Please Help

leokendall, Apr 20, 2010
  3. leokendall

jerryt

Did you try "Fn + F5" to switch LCD on?

Check display settings and make LCD the primary display.

jerryt, Apr 20, 2010
  4. leokendall

leokendall

Yes, first thing i tried. Also flashed/upgraded the bios, did a complete system recovery (format and installed through D2D).
    It do not display the POST screen on the netbook only on the external monitor. The netbook screen stays off and come on right after windows has finished loading all of its drivers.
    The only way i can get to see the Acer logo and boot to Bios is by hooking an an external monitor.
    It seems like the External monitor is set as the default display in the bios. I'm thinking about flashing the CMOS. but not sure if that will solve the problem.
    After the acer splash scree.(the one just before the desktop shows) loads, the netbook has no other problems at all.

leokendall, Apr 21, 2010
  5. leokendall

leokendall

LCD is the primary display in the display panel.
    What gets me is that as soon as the drivers are loaded (i think) the netbook screen starts up.

leokendall, Apr 21, 2010
  6. leokendall

leokendall

Re: aspire d250 no boot screen on pri display only ext monitor

like to add when external monitor is hooked u and windows is loading, pressing the fn + f5 key do not change displays or even make any difference to the external monitor display. is seems like the fn key is usless untill windows xp have loaded.

leokendall, May 3, 2010
  7. leokendall

Swarvey Moderator

Re: aspire d250 no boot screen on pri display only ext monitor

No need to double post. merged with your other thread.

Swarvey, May 4, 2010
  8. leokendall

leokendall

Ok, sorry about the double post.

Like to say that the netbook repaired it self. will i think anyway.
    Couple thing i did that might of triggered the AA1 to use the LCD screen.
    -ran the netbook until the battery was fully depleted.
    -installed acer empowering tech for XP (same program that comes with vista the lil E) works perfect besides a lil error that pops up, but just forget about it and it works as it should. lol then i un-installed it. don't ask why,
    -i let the netbook charge over night.
    -i plugged in a usb light and turned on the netbook, and then i saw the POST and windows loading screen.
    Everything working as it should (knock on wood)

leokendall, May 5, 2010
  9. leokendall

leokendall

Re: external monitor shows POST/bios as default wants change

got the problem again, and can't find a solution.

leokendall, May 31, 2010
  10. leokendall

Swarvey Moderator

Quick question, do you leave the external monitor plugged in full time? The AAO might be using it as a default, but it can't if it doesn't detect any external devices.

Swarvey, Jun 1, 2010
  11. leokendall

leokendall

External monitor is almost never plugged in, unless i needs to get into the bios which i almost never use. It usually take between 30 to 40 seconds for windows xp to boot up so i got an idea how long everything is. If it takes over a minute i would plug in the external then.

Also i would like to note that i tried the ubuntu live usb, i gets the image on the netbook after the distro loads a few of it's drivers.

To me it seems like the bios really do not want to use the default netbooks screen.

leokendall, Jun 7, 2010
  12. leokendall

leokendall

still having this problem, and cannot find a solution for it.
    I think the Bios has the wrong resoultion selected.

leokendall, Oct 25, 2010
  13. leokendall

Swarvey Moderator

I don't know if this will work for you, but have you tried booting the computer, immediately entering the BIOS setup, followed by trying the FN+F5 combo to see if it allows you to change monitors from inside the BIOS settings?

Swarvey, Oct 25, 2010
  14. leokendall

leokendall

Still no go. I'm thinking the bios is using the wrong resolution, and when windows loads it corrects it.

leokendall, Nov 8, 2010
Ask a Question