extremely satisfied with fedora 10 xfce spin

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jhedrotten, Dec 5, 2008.

1. jhedrotten

JimK

Well, when I changed grub.conf to vga=ask, I chose 315 and it worked. Then I changed it back to vga=0x315 and the progress bar came back. Oh, well. I can be stubborn, but not for some eye candy. The machine wins this one.

JimK, Dec 8, 2008
  2. jhedrotten

JimK

I got the sound to work, but every time I start the computer, the volume is set to zero and I have to turn it back up. Does anybody know how I can get it to stick at a higher volume?

JimK, Dec 8, 2008
  3. jhedrotten

Tonie168

I finally made My AAO triple booting, Win XP, Linpus and Fedora 10 XFCE. Just like the topic starter, I'm extremely satisfied with F10. Don't know about the card readers, because I simply don't have a SD-card. The only problem is the same as JimK.

I have another question: why should I install madwifi? Is there any advantage, or should I simply just don't?

Thanks

Tonie168, Dec 8, 2008
  4. jhedrotten

lunged

My issue was due to a bug in a batch of Fedora 10 updates. If anyone else has this problem, refer to this forum:
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=206797

I learned my lesson here - now that I'm using REAL Fedora instead of Acer's flavour of Linpus, I need to use Fedora forums for my software problems.

lunged, Dec 8, 2008
  5. jhedrotten

finnbakk

LXDE
    Does anyone have experiences with installing the XFDE desktop in Fed 10 on AAO?
    I tried to do so, but the result was that the gdm login screen froze, so I had to do a reinstall of the whole system.

finnbakk, Dec 9, 2008
  6. jhedrotten

JimK

When I was running F10 Beta (with Gnome), I installed LXDE, along with XFCE and Fluxbox, and they all worked fine. Now I just have XFCE. The reason I'm sticking with XFCE insstead of LXDE is I like its file manager better.

JimK, Dec 9, 2008
  7. jhedrotten

RockDoctor

I'm using LXDE without any problems, but I'm not using gdm

RockDoctor, Dec 9, 2008
  8. jhedrotten

lunged

For those having trouble getting the Solar boot screen to stay, here is what worked for me.
    I found this website: http://128.194.106.6/~baum/linux/LDP/HO ... afb-5.html
    and followed the matrix. We see that 0315 = 789, so instead of vga=0x315 I simply used vga=789.
    I hope this helps someone.

lunged, Dec 9, 2008
  9. jhedrotten

jhedrotten

try this one:

create 'sound' file at /etc/modprobe.d/ and place:

Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=acer
    here's how you create the file:

Code:
    sudo mousepad /etc/modprobe.d/sound 
    then mousepad should appear with a blank page. just copy and paste the one liner above, hope that helps.

jhedrotten, Dec 10, 2008
  10. jhedrotten

jhedrotten

install madwifi if you want the wifi led to work [blinks in accordance to internet traffic] and if you want to make wifi work after suspend. plus others say it's faster than the native driver, though i do not have any idea why. just installed it for the two reasons i have above. :D

jhedrotten, Dec 10, 2008
  11. jhedrotten

JimK

Thank you, lunged. That did the trick. I now have solar effects when I boot. Now if I could just figure out how to set it where it won't stretch to fill ... :geek: Oh, well, I guess there are more important things I can do with my computer.

JimK, Dec 11, 2008
  12. jhedrotten

JimK

Thanks for the reply again, jhedrotten. I tried to create the sound file, but it was already there, complete with "options snd-hda-intel model=acer" already in place. I guess I'll have to start poking around some config files to see what I can find. Usually when I do that I break something, but whenever I break something I learn something, so it's not all bad.

JimK, Dec 11, 2008
  13. jhedrotten

jhedrotten

yeah as for me when i reboot, the sound level is set to 0% as well but im not that bothered.
    i would love to make it 100% though :D so please let me know if you find something out. thanks. :D

jhedrotten, Dec 11, 2008
  14. jhedrotten

finnbakk

How can I replace GDM with something else?

finnbakk, Dec 11, 2008
  15. jhedrotten

Sal

Hi all,
    just installed xfce spin on my new AA0 150.
    I've folloewd the guide and everything it's working fine ;) .

Just two issues :
    the internal microphone is NOT working ( I've tried it with Skype, an external mic work very well !).
    The add/remove utility doesn't work too. I receive a message concerning policies....
    Everyone has an idea ?

Sal, Dec 11, 2008
  16. jhedrotten

jhedrotten

just look in this thread, i have posted the link on where to fix the PackageKit or you could search directly at the Fedora Forum.

as for the microphone, really? i haven't tried using it yet.

jhedrotten, Dec 11, 2008
  17. jhedrotten

jhedrotten

so far here are the things that does not work, if someone found out something else or found the workaround with the following, please post it here.

1. hibernate, it works but breaks something after waking if you're lucky, my worst experience is it has corrupted my 16gb sdhc card, other issues could be remedied by a cold reboot. [suspend work though through acpid, some tweaking are required for the madwifi driver and sound].

2. default sound level- sound works, but you might notice that every reboot, it is set to 0%.

3.microphone- the microphone is not working, as reported above.

that's everything that I could think of, at the moment.

jhedrotten, Dec 11, 2008
  18. jhedrotten

Tonie168

Thanks for the reply, jhedrotten, but anyway I ain't satisfied with fedora anymore. The wifi works directly out of the box and even on my university, but I had problems with wine and installing matlab and I spend an evening and a morning repairing from some weird update. So Fedora 10 is gone now and I installed Xubuntu Intrepid Ibex two days ago. Besides the hassle with the WLan, everything works almost instantly and it boots fast enough for me. So, I was satisfied with fedora 10 xfce spin, but now I am even more satisfied with Xubuntu.

Tonie168, Dec 12, 2008
  19. jhedrotten

SuzuKube

My microphone function with

create 'sound' file at /etc/modprobe.d/ and place:

SuzuKube, Dec 12, 2008
  20. jhedrotten

Sal

Mine too.
    Thanks.

Sal, Dec 12, 2008
Ask a Question