extremely satisfied with fedora 10 xfce spin

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jhedrotten, Dec 5, 2008.

1. jhedrotten

Sal

Yes I misttyped the code....
    By the way Capture is the internal mic, and Capture 1 is the jacked one

Sal, Dec 21, 2008
  2. jhedrotten

jhedrotten

great. Thanks a lot!

jhedrotten, Dec 21, 2008
  3. jhedrotten

FireSoul

now i got two problems :|

Still with the samba shares problem
    now got another one .. sun java install i followed the guide in my-guides and :| messed everything up

FireSoul, Dec 21, 2008
  4. jhedrotten

FireSoul

mmm fixed the java thing tatatatatatadaaaa
    mmm and the samba thing i tried the smb4k but it didn't work it is asking for a program called ksudo or something like this

please any suggestions ?

FireSoul, Dec 21, 2008
  5. jhedrotten

figvam

Echoing the topic title, I'm extremely frustrated with Fedora 10 XFCE spin.

I was naive enough to specify a non-US keyboard layout during install, and as a result I couldn't switch to the US (ASCII) layout after the final reboot. I've tried in vain all usual shortcut combos - two shifts at once, alt+shift, ctrl-shift, you name it. To make things worse, the default XFCE spin doesn't have xkb plugin for the panel, so I couldn't switch to the ASCII layout using the mouse. I couldn't even enter root password for the keyboard configuration tool because the password was in ASCII!

It was frustrating to no end - I switched to the console hoping to fix it directly in xorg.conf but it is no more (yay for X autoconfiguration)! I had to scour the Internet for the solution - it appears Xorg keyboard settings are now in /etc/sysconfig/keyboard.

Initially the system was extremely sluggish, but after applying the usual tweaks for the Aspire One, it felt better. But installing and especially removing RPMs is still dog slow comparing to managing .debs in Ubuntu. I don't know why - maybe there is some excessive writing to the rpm database which is slowing down the process.

NetworkManager didn't work for my access point but it neither did in Ubuntu so I wasn't surprised. Installing wicd in Ubuntu did the trick for WiFi but it's not available as RPM and I don't want to do a source install since it's actively developed and keeping up with the updates would be a pain.

And what's with the huge fonts in the GDM login screen? After logging in they look ok in the X session. And now that xorg.conf is gone, where to look for the GDM X settings?

I'm sorry if my rant sounds angry but I guess I expected a better user experience from the latest Fedora. I didn't have so much trouble setting it up in the previous versions. I guess being on the bleeding edge shows.

I haven't tried the sound yet - there are probably some nasty surprises waiting for me, too.

figvam, Dec 23, 2008
  6. jhedrotten

RockDoctor

[/quote:fbon9584][/quote:fbon9584]
    Just a guess: 134dpi for the AA1's screen, somebody hard-coded gdm for a 96dpi screen?

RockDoctor, Dec 23, 2008
  7. jhedrotten

figvam

I don't use PackageKit either, only yum and rpm. If SmartPM is only a frontend to RPM, I can't see how it could be faster. I may look into it though, thanks for the suggestion.
    Does it work well with Fedora 10?

figvam, Dec 23, 2008
  8. jhedrotten

FireSoul

Well since i can help here :D

do this my friend
    open a terminal
    and type
    gnome-keyboard-properties

you will have the usual gnome keyboard proparties do your layout and stuff as you like
    after this install
    xfce4-xkb-plugin
    sudo yum install xfce4-xkb-plugin

then add it to you panel ( but every proparties to be edited should go through gnome-keyboard-proparties)

hope i helped you :)

FireSoul, Dec 23, 2008
  9. jhedrotten

figvam

Thanks for the suggestion, but please do tell me how do I type "gnome-keyboard-properties" when my keyboard is not in the ASCII mode, thanks to the braindead Fedora installer?

Of course I could have started it from the console with the DISPLAY=:0 hack, but it's largely irrelevant now - my solution was more long-term.

figvam, Dec 23, 2008
  10. jhedrotten

hillsoft

Excuse the quick question. I haven't used Fedora in awhile, but I am curious about your comment about the braindead installer. I thought you mentioned in a previous post that you picked the wrong keyboard type at install. Just curious if the installer did something wrong to cause your non-US keyboard issue, or if your incorrect selection was the problem. If the latter I don't understand how the installer is at fault.

Just curious as I have been thinking about giving Fedora 10 a shot on my AA1.

hillsoft, Dec 23, 2008
  11. jhedrotten

Foranamo

Does Fedora 10 have an ssh server as default? If it does you could log on from a different computer and then run those commands.

Altough I'm somewhat curious as to what keyboard layout you have selected, even with letters on wrong keys you can type simple commands. I assume you selected a layout that doesn't include 'traditional' letters?

Foranamo, Dec 23, 2008
  12. jhedrotten

figvam

No no no, it certainly wasn't wrong - I fully intended to switch between the two languages. I just didn't expect that there would be no means for me to really switch between them after the installation. I got stuck with the non-US layout.
    Maybe it's not the installer fault but the packaging fault (they just had to add the xkb applet), I don't know. But IMHO it certainly wasn't my fault :)

I checked the bugzilla and there is a couple of bugs about the inability to switch keyboard layout already. Some examples:
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=476871#c7
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=474011

I guess my bug is a bit different as it's about XFCE spin. Though there is no XFCE component in the bugzilla categories.

figvam, Dec 23, 2008
  13. jhedrotten

figvam

It does, but it's not started by default in XFCE spin. Also you assume I had the network up and running which is hardly the case right after the installation. CTRL+ALT+F2 works much better :)
    Yes, it was a Cyrillic layout so there was no way to enter the ASCII characters.

figvam, Dec 23, 2008
  14. jhedrotten

figvam

So I timed the removal of 15 packages (with "rpm -e") weighting about 20MB in the installed form - it took exactly 7 minutes.

figvam, Dec 24, 2008
  15. jhedrotten

jhedrotten

okay, i have used skype now and i seem to have some problems with the sound when using headphones.

i know that this is a probable skype-issue in F10, since when I am using Exaile and or VLC, I get the fullblown volume that I want
    using the same headset. But when i talk to someone using skype, I get a low volume even though my settings for the aa1 is set to a maximum, plus only the left earpiece of the headset works. Anyone experienced this or has any ideas? Thanks.

jhedrotten, Dec 25, 2008
  16. jhedrotten

dudut

Hi,

i'm sorry. i didn't follow the entire discussion.

i want to ask, is fedora 10 xfce spin difference with normal fedora (gnome) but installed xfce?

i use fedora gnome n install xfce onto it. since i cannot download xfce spin (it uses torrent and my school network does not allow student to use torrent).

thx n rgds...

dudut, Dec 25, 2008
  17. jhedrotten

jhedrotten

just a friendly question dude, are you from the same country as me?
    by the way, yes, fedora 10 xfce is fedora 10 with xfce unlike the standard one that ships with gnome.
    installing fedora 10 gnome and then installing the entire xfce de might not be a good idea, it will consume a good amount of space and memory (and maybe power) than you intended it to, because you will still have all the gnome processes running in the background plus the xfce ones.

jhedrotten, Dec 26, 2008
  18. jhedrotten

dudut

i am from Singapore btw.

OK, thanks for ur answer, i got it :)

dudut, Dec 26, 2008
  19. jhedrotten

RockDoctor

A bit of clarification:
    You don't have to keep the all GNOME stuff once you have XFCE installed. :D
    A Fedora XFCE install includes includes some GNOME dependencies, so you cant wipe out all the GNOME files :cry:

RockDoctor, Dec 26, 2008
  20. jhedrotten

kghunt

I installed fedora 10 xfce using this guide

http://jorge.ulver.no/2008/11/10/

I love having a full distro and as far as i can tell everything works. It does take a while though. I would recommend setting aside a couple of hours for the install then a couple of hours for updates. (slow ssd). It runs well but updates and heavy disk usage take an age.

I installed the distro the modifications all the updates and open office and I have around 3-4 gig free.

The only problem I came across during the setup was when the system would not boot and gave the error "invalid device string" this turned out to be a problem when i edited my grub.conf a line got split into 2 lines so all I had to do was boot into the live cd and consolidate the 2 lines again.

All in all very happy experience.

Oh and I also have 1.5 gigs of ram not sure if it will run as well on 512mb.

The only odd thing is that it does not seem scaled the cpu up under load even when plugged in. But I do get about 2-2:45 mins with wifi on and screen at lowest brightness.

kghunt, Dec 27, 2008
Ask a Question