extremely satisfied with fedora 10 xfce spin

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jhedrotten, Dec 5, 2008.

1. jhedrotten

jhedrotten

i wonder why is that. i have installed fedora 10 xfce twice as per jorge's instructions and none of that card reader ish.

jhedrotten, Jan 4, 2009
  2. jhedrotten

RockDoctor

add to /etc/rc.local:
    Code:
    /sbin/modprobe pciehp pciehp_force=1

RockDoctor, Jan 4, 2009
  3. jhedrotten

kghunt

I already did that. But I did notice that I already have /sbin/modprobe pciehp already in there. So now I have it twice but with the force thingy on the second one.

this is the bottom of my rc.local file

Code:
    /sbin/setpci -d 197b:2381 AE=47
    /sbin/modprobe pciehp
    /sbin/modprobe sdhci

# to get sd card readers to respond to cards inserted after boot:
    /sbin/modprobe pciehp pciehp_force=1

kghunt, Jan 4, 2009
  4. jhedrotten

RockDoctor

You shouldn't need pciehp twice, just the one with the force thingy. The important question is, did it work?

RockDoctor, Jan 4, 2009
  5. jhedrotten

kghunt

ok i removed the first line about pci thingy. still no hot plug sd cards in either slot. However when I plug card in i get a quick burst of hd activity but nothing happens. Also on another note when I plug headphones in it does not mute the speakers,

kghunt, Jan 5, 2009
  6. jhedrotten

Foranamo

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ace ... ilesystems

There you go :) Same info in http://cryptojedi.org/misc/aa1.shtml#suspend, this one shows archwiki as reference.

Foranamo, Jan 5, 2009
  7. jhedrotten

Sal

Hi all, is anyone using amarok ?
    I insttaled it but mp3 are not working.
    I followed a lot of guides on the net but i cannot find the package amarok-extras-nonfree on any repository...

Sal, Jan 5, 2009
  8. jhedrotten

jhedrotten

amarok-extras-nonfree is not being used anymore, but i forgot the new package i got.

using exaile now, like amarok minus the kde deps :D

jhedrotten, Jan 5, 2009
  9. jhedrotten

info

info, Jan 6, 2009
  10. jhedrotten

jhedrotten

Nice review you've got there. :D

Though I admit, it is a bit sluggish and disappointing at times. But it is the overall experience that counts. And I am very happy with it. Hence I started this thread lol.

jhedrotten, Jan 6, 2009
  11. jhedrotten

info

Maybe the AAO users will make Fedora a total joy to use on a netbook, proving to people that Linux can stand strong even with end users and, dare I say it, computer novices. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the author of the Wired article was influenced by your thread which was well named and has been popping up for quite a while now. Great job in drawing peoples attention to how close we are to having Linux run well for everyone. :D

info, Jan 6, 2009
  12. jhedrotten

kghunt

I could never get the solar boot screen to work even with vga=0x315. I just changed it to vga=789 and it works! found that snippet of info on another site. Just thought id share if other people had the same problem.

kghunt, Jan 7, 2009
  13. jhedrotten

RockDoctor

That's strange, because 0x315 = 789

RockDoctor, Jan 7, 2009
  14. jhedrotten

kghunt

well all i care about is it works and I have a solar boot screen complete with flares :)

kghunt, Jan 7, 2009
  15. jhedrotten

dennysnight

Ok time for some help. Has anyone else had the problem where the sound still plays from the speakers when headphones are plugged in? And has anyone got the internal mic to work?

i followed the guides, removed pulse audio, made the sound file in /etc/modprobe.d/ and have used the ending model=acer, model=acer-aspire, and model=auto. still can't get my AA1 to switch to headphones and have yet to get the internal mic to work.

I appreciate any help!

*Update* when i have the headphones plugged in at boot and play a song/video, it plays just from the headphones for a split second then from speakers and headphones.
    *Update 2* after looking though some config files, i edited /etc/modprobe.conf to match /etc/modprobe.d/sound (options snd-hda-intel model=acer-aspire . now the system switches between headphones and speakers. also noticed more options in the alsa-mixer4. Still no internal mic.

dennysnight, Jan 7, 2009
  16. jhedrotten

vulcanbomber

Following steps from

http://jorge.ulver.no/2008/11/10/fedora-10-on-the-acer-aspire-one/

All works until the following section

Converting the filesystem from ext3 to ext2

I sure hope you have your USB-pen/drive in hand, because we’re going to need it. Reboot your machine, with your USB-thingie plugged in, and again press F12 at boot, selecting your USB-device as the boot device. When done booting to the Live CD, press Alt-F2 and type terminal, and su to root.

What we need to do next is to convert the root-partition of our system to ext2 (as it is currently ext3). The root filesystem is on an LVM-partition, so the way to change it isn’t exactly your usual way of doing it. Run the command vgscan, and it’ll look something like this:

# vgscan
    Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
    Found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata type lvm2

You can now find your root partition in /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00. To convert this to ext2, run the following command:

# tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
    # e2fsck /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00

When this is done, your system should be ext2. To test this, you can do the following things:

# mkdir /mnt/disk
    # mount -t ext3 /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /mnt/disk

This last command should fail, as we’re not mounting an ext3 partition. Try it with ext2, it should now work.

Next step is to update an important file, and making a new initrd.
    Updating /etc/fstab and making a new initrd

Now that our filesystem is updated, we need to change the entries in /mnt/disk/etc/fstab to read and specify the root partition as ext2, and not ext3. So open up the file /mnt/disk/etc/fstab, and replace ext3 with ext2. When done, save and close the file. Remember that you need to do these changes as root!

We need to do some changes to the boot partition as well, so mount it up, and other things as well (thanks skug67!):

# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/disk/boot/
    # mount -o bind /sys /mnt/disk/sys
    # mount -o bind /proc /mnt/disk/proc

What we will do now is to change our root-enviroment so that we’re working directly inside the mounted partitions. You can do that by running this command:

# chroot /mnt/disk/ /bin/bash

We’re now in the new enviroment. It’s time to create the new initrd. Now, the image-versions shown below does not necessarily have to be what you have. The iso you downloaded from the Fedora torrent might be newer than what I’m writing here, so just do an ls /boot/ to see what your image-file looks like. We proceed:

# mv initrd-2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686.img initrd-2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686.img.ext3
    # mkinitrd initrd-`uname -r`.img `uname -r`

When this is done, you’ve created a new initrd. Follow up with exiting the enviroment, unmounting the partitions and rebooting:

# exit
    # cd /root/
    # umount /mnt/disk/boot/
    # umount /mnt/disk/sys/
    # umount /mnt/disk/proc/
    # umount /mnt/disk/
    # reboot

Then I get the error message

Coul not detect stabilization waiting 10 seconds
    mount: error mounting /dev/root on /sysroot as ext3: Invalid argument

Tried procedure 3 times same result

vulcanbomber, Jan 10, 2009
  17. jhedrotten

Therket

It'll be really helpful, if you put quotes in the "Quote"-Tag...

Anyway, it still tries to mount root as ext3. Have you done this?

Therket, Jan 10, 2009
  18. jhedrotten

JimK

You may have a different version of the kernel. If so you'll have to change the digits after 2.6.27.xxx

JimK, Jan 10, 2009
  19. jhedrotten

madeyemoody

I had the same problem as described and the reason was I had overlooked the above step! So boot up the install usb stick again and edit the file as root and it should work

madeyemoody, Jan 11, 2009
  20. jhedrotten

vulcanbomber

Thanks guys yes it was fstab the way the instructions is alaid out it is easy to miss

vulcanbomber, Jan 11, 2009
Ask a Question