extremely satisfied with fedora 10 xfce spin

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jhedrotten, Dec 5, 2008.

1. jhedrotten

kghunt

I am especially happy now that it is running as a front end to my mythtv system. Runs like a dream!!

kghunt, Jan 12, 2009
  2. jhedrotten

tripelty

I have a problem here with my F10-XFCE. When i installed F10 on my One, wlan was working like it should. However after a month or few, my wlan is VERY slow. It takes like a minute or two to get for example at aspireoneuser.com. I tried both, madwifi and ath5k drivers, but no change. It kinda makes no sense to have netbook with slow internet ;)

Oh, my other laptop with vista works fine with the same wlan, so the problem is in the One.

If anyone knows anything to fix this problem, i would be happy :)

tripelty, Jan 13, 2009
  3. jhedrotten

RockDoctor

If it was fast and is now slow, it's not the AA1, it's what you've done to the system. Have you updated any of the software? the BIOS? Back up your /home and /etc directories. You may want to save the list of all the rpms you've got installed (/var/log/rpmpkgs) too. Then reinstall from the same medium you installed from originally. Presto, you're back to the original speed.

RockDoctor, Jan 13, 2009
  4. jhedrotten

FireSoul

hey ppl i need your help
    my aao with fedora 10 can't connect to the wirless network in my college

it seems like it can't acquire and IP ...
    we have two main networks the students one which is protected by ( dynamic wep peap - it seems down with some complications even with windows pcs) and the other which is guest un protected network ( which is easily accessed even by pocket pcs )

please i need your help cause this is a real boaring cycle for the next 3 monthes ... and the lectures are really useless ....

last note it connects if i use a static IP .. but i can't know the network mask ....... and i don't get internet connection

i disabled ipv6 and still same problem -_-

FireSoul, Jan 20, 2009
  5. jhedrotten

sophenator

Has anyone experienced an apparent loss of window manager settings? In two instances my desktop switched to one workspace, no titlebars on windows placed in upper left of desktop over the top panel, and symbols with question marks apparently where the missing workspaces were. Once it happened when switching the splash screen from mice to simple and once when I unchecked "Save session for future logins". Both times I just reinstalled, but I was wondering if there is a fix for this because I couldn't get it back using the xfce desktop setting menu.

sophenator, Jan 28, 2009
  6. jhedrotten

FireSoul

my AAO is accessing the SSD a lot which makes it kinda slow ... although i disabled swap and increased the ram to 1.5 any suggestions please ?

FireSoul, Jan 29, 2009
  7. jhedrotten

jcm

You're running EXT2 file system, I hope, unless your AA1 has got a mechanical hard drive?

Have you tried stopping some services that aren't needed, like auditd, avahi-demon, cups, p6tables, kerneloops, netfs, nfslock, rpcbind, livesys, etc, etc?

jcm, Jan 31, 2009
  8. jhedrotten

jcm

I lost my xfce desktop completely a week ago and the system resorted to Gnome after adding an xfce program that enabled gnome plugins to work in xfce, or something like that, but I've never encountered what you have before. There's always a first time though...

jcm, Jan 31, 2009
  9. jhedrotten

Foranamo

I've been wondering if I could get better 3D performance. Linpus with Fedora 8 gave me 930fps, now with F10 I only get around 750fps. Intel_batch doesn't help. Has anyone gotten better performance out of GMA 950 in F10?

Foranamo, Feb 1, 2009
  10. jhedrotten

bailout

Just got an aao and looking for a current distro to use and from reading here fedora sounds as if it is working well. Most people here seem to be using the xfce spin version. Is this just F10 with xfce or has it had any other tweaks that make it better for the aao? A linux magazine had a dvd of Fedora10.1 and I was thinking of using that and choosing a leightweight wm on install. Will this give me the same as xfce spin?

bailout, Feb 1, 2009
  11. jhedrotten

Dave in Eugene

A Fedora DVD is probably going to install a variety of WMs and it would just be a matter of choosing which one to load at login. Wouldn't be a problem unless you have the 8GB SSD, where you'd probably want to choose a spin with only the WM of choice (or perhaps you get the choice to install or not with the OS).

I installed the standard GNOME version then the xfce WM as a package. Gnome is really trick but a resource hog, xfce is lightweight and it shows, but it does the job and the performance improvement is noticeable. I have FC6 on an old P3-500 along with the version of KDE from that timeframe and it zooms right along - might have to try a current version of KDE on the AAO.

Dave in Eugene, Feb 13, 2009
  12. jhedrotten

bailout

Thanks for tthe reply. I ended up downloading the xfce spin cd.

I am really a kde user for some years. The mess of kde4 though has put me off as I don't think kubuntu 8.10 was usable. Hence I am stuck using gnome and xfce for the time being. I also don't know how well kde4 will suit the small screen of the aao. They seem to have gone for lots of wasted space on the new kde4 gui design with large buttons and less customisation.

bailout, Feb 17, 2009
  13. jhedrotten

rpkemp

KDE 4 - and in fact, following an update a couple of days ago, it's apparently KDE 4.2 - works fine. In fact, the newer version (4.2) has apparently had a couple of configuration dialogs resized specifically to fit on a 1024x600 screen.

I'm not saying KDE 4 is perfect. It's a culture shock, and still incomplete. But even in its current rather diminished form KDE is still not as irritatingly obtuse as Gnome (gconf-editor? Give me a break) or as anorexic as XFCE.

So stop this nonsense about KDE 4 being broken - it's not, or not seriously - and just use it.

rpkemp, Feb 17, 2009
  14. jhedrotten

HappyHarry

he fellow f10 xfce users, just a heads up that you can get the latest version of xfce4 for f10, they were only going to include this version in F11 but i did some asking to the xfce de for fedora and now it's available for f10, for more details see my post here>> viewtopic.php?f=71&t=12501

phil

HappyHarry, Mar 19, 2009
Ask a Question