fail installing packages

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mpierat25, Dec 28, 2008.

1. mpierat25

mpierat25

Hi,

I need to install VLC and Pidgin under linpus. I try yum but in both cases the system failed because some libraries missing .

Code:
    [root@localhost user]# yum install pidgin
    Loading "priorities" plugin
    120 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
    Setting up Install Process
    Parsing package install arguments
    Resolving Dependencies
    --> Running transaction check
    ---> Package pidgin.i386 0:2.2.2-1.fc8 set to be updated
    --> Processing Dependency: libpurple = 2.2.2-1.fc8 for package: pidgin
    --> Finished Dependency Resolution
    Error: Missing Dependency: libpurple = 2.2.2-1.fc8 is needed by package pidgin
    [root@localhost user]# 

I have no problem with puppy linux but I feel lost with linpus

Please help me.

mp

mpierat25, Dec 28, 2008
  2. mpierat25

steven.chien

do you have any network connections? I have met the same situation as you when I just bought my AA1, because Linpus tend to be small in size, so many libraries are missing, if you need them, you will need to have network connection in order to download them. Have you enabled the right click menu? If so, you can use the RPM, red hat packet manager, it seems to be more user friendly, search in it, then install the one you wanted, the program will start to check if any libraries are missing, I am sure that many are missing! than it will start to download and install it. It may take a while because some times libraries need "another" library to work, so there may be many thing to download, so a fast connection will be good!

steven.chien, Dec 29, 2008
Ask a Question