Failed to Initilize HAL [Temporary Solution]

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mrcomputer, Mar 2, 2009.

1. mrcomputer

doberman

Hi all,

For me it's a little different:

It started from an OS replacement. I bought the laptop last week with Win XP and this guy never wanted to boot.. Anyway I didn't want to keep XP.
    So I did a system recovery using the Linpus Lite iso recovery http://download.trrunde.org//upload/AAO_v1-0-15E.iso.

Now when I boot I have this HAL error and no network at all, even the Ethernet. ifconfig gives a ath0 interface name for ethernet which sounds strange to me (usually eth0...). Modules for the Wifi seems to be loaded but again.. no IP..

I tried to remove the mtab file without success. :(

I have also a problem with the touchpad and GSynaptics claiming that it cannot work..

To be continued...

dob

PS: no modification at XFCE

doberman, Jul 6, 2009
  2. mrcomputer

ndirons

A few months ago i removed the 1GB RAM. The persistent HAL problems have not reappeared.

ndirons, Jul 24, 2009
  3. mrcomputer

IrOS

Hi all,

Just found your forum here after searching for solutions to the "Failed to initialize HAL!" problem for the third time.
    Looks like lots of great info here, but no-one seems to have a permanent fix for this.

I run a pretty much bog-stock AA1
    I started getting the error intermittently about a month after I bought it.
    We just keep rebooting and on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th try it will work again.

I went searching for a cure then and never found anything solid.
    I've tried running other distro's like Ubuntu & CrunchEEE and while mostly they work, they are too slow compared to the Linpus for me.
    I have reinstalled Linpus from scratch many times and after a short while get the same problem with HAL.

So if I can be of help I'm happy to try.
    I've seen the fix about removing the /etc/mtab~ files, but I've never seen those files my system, I only ever see one mtab file.

At this stage I haven't tried running the script you give here, so I'll do that next time it fails and post the result.

Just wondering about BIOS & Linpus versions - I'm running BIOS V0.3109 & Linpus V1.0.3.E is there any advantage (or known disadvantages) to updating the BIOS?
    Cheers, TIA

IrOS, Jul 27, 2009
  4. mrcomputer

ndirons

I don't suppose you upgraded the RAM like me?

ndirons, Jul 27, 2009
  5. mrcomputer

mrcomputer

If the problem has anything to do with having 1GB of RAM in the system causing HAL issues, that sounds like a problem in the BIOS. If that's the case we have no choice but to wait for Acer to come out with a fix.

Still a mystery, but glad the temporary fix is working for most people.

mrcomputer, Jul 29, 2009
  6. mrcomputer

Spacerr

I got the HAL issue with an unmodified AA0. I was following the guides on this form and the register website so not sure if that was a factor. I reinstalled Linpus and followed the guides and did not get the error.

Spacerr, Aug 3, 2009
  7. mrcomputer

hgh9mrp

I experienced the "Failed to Initialize HAL" message several times over the past few days. Each time was after I had performed the Live Update after completely reinstalling Linpus Linux from the installation disk.
    I wondered to myself, why after a year does this happen now?
    After reviewing the first message in this topic, especially the sentence that reads,
    , I decided I would try one more re-install with no modifications including the desktop switch mod.
    1. Reinstalled Linpus Linux from installation disk.
    2. After verifying installation, initiated Live Update which ran to completion. Uh-oh, bad feeling - I lost my network connections just like before.
    3. Installed the desktop switch,
    Code:
    sudo rpm -i desktop-switch-0.3-1.i386.rpm
    refer to http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1612 (On previous installations, I had installed the desktop switch prior to running the Live Update.)
    4. Rebooted the AAO; everything worked as it should - wired and wireless, audio, webcam.

Conclusion: Waiting to install the desktop switch mod until after completing the Live Update allowed my AAO to boot without experiencing the, "Failed to Initialize HAL" condition.

hgh9mrp, Sep 6, 2009
  8. mrcomputer

trace

I have this problem on my AAO now. My wife was using it and complained the touchpad was not working. She probably had just brought it back from sleep.
    I rebooted it and got the dialog saying "failed to initialize HAL!". Networking was still working (at least before the reboot). Today I had no network nor touchpad.

- I don't have any stale /etc/mtab~ files
    - Doing the rest of the service restarts gave me networking (WLAN)
    - the settings file /home/user/.optsdksettings, accessed by nm-applet, caused problems. It had my phones wap access point for some reason. I use gnome-ppp, not the network applet to start up my mobile connection. I have no Idea how it got there. It had a timestamp from July. So it might be from when I was setting up my mobile connection...
    - Rebooting now seemed to keep giving me networking (WLAN) once
    - I still at every reboot get the "failed to initialize HAL" and mousepad

A while ago I was playing around with Bluetooth and then I had to create /var/lock/subsys. The directory did not exist.

trace, Nov 18, 2009
  9. mrcomputer

ndirons

Re: Failed to Initilize HAL [Apparent Solution]

I stubled across the following:

http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/12/acer-aspire-one-recovery-dvd.html#comments

ndirons, Jan 27, 2010
  10. mrcomputer

mrcomputer

Deleting the stale mtab~* files is included in the original solution in the first post.

mrcomputer, Jan 27, 2010
  11. mrcomputer

mrcomputer

Just a note that I have moved to Ubuntu 9.10 and I've been using my AA1 problem free since then. If you're technically inclined, I would recommend the jump.

mrcomputer, Feb 24, 2010
Ask a Question