Failing To Install.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Ranger5, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Ranger5

Ranger5

Hello,
    I've been trying to install a couple of things recently and it's just not happening.

I wanted to give Rednotebook (a diary programme) a go but it needs Yaml to work. For some reason this isn't availabe on my Pirut list, although the other two requirements are and are apparently already installed - they have green ticks by them. (daldred suggested that I type sudo yum install fedora-update into a terminal to update the list, but it didn't work - it said there was nothing to change.)
    I found the latest stable release of Yaml and downloaded it (a zip file) to my downloads folder. I extracted the files, opened a terminal and entered the install line, and it told me that setup.py did not exist.

http://pyyaml.org/wiki/PyYAML

I have also tried to install Thunderbird. At first I went to the Mozilla website and found the download and saved it to the computer - except it opened it instead.
    I wasn't entirely sure what to do next so I decided to follow the macles blog instructions, like most others do.
    This didn't work. It seemed to be, but then the terminal indicated an error with something and although I continued with the last remaining lines of the instructions, I don't have Thunderbird anywhere.
    I have even typed thunderbird setup.tb install in the terminal (it's similar to the Yaml install line - python setup.py install)
    but again it says the setup file doesn't exist.
    The thunderbird zip fle has been extracted, and there does appear to be a file in it called setup.

A couple of times now I have tried to extract a zip file and both times it has failed. I view the command lines when asked if I want to ( I don't understand them) and at the bottom of the list are several lines saying that it can't overwrite recently created files.

What's going on?
    Am I downloading to the wrong location? Am I extracting to the wrong location?
    Has Acer done something making it impossible for me to install new software? Surely the macles instructions for Thunderbird should have worked?

I haven't tried installing anything from Pirut yet (the version of Thunderbird is older I think?) Should I try it just to see if something will install?

How do I get rid of any installed componants that are just sitting there doing nothing but taking up valuable space?
    Is there a system restore for Linpus Lite like there is on some versions of Windows, so I can take it back to a time before I started all this?

Sorry this is so long but any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks.

Ranger5, Apr 15, 2009
  2. Ranger5

garrettp

Re: Failing To Install. (Long - Sorry)

no help here but these here forums are slowly making me more happy I got XP on my AA1. Thought I would never say that.

garrettp, Apr 15, 2009
Ask a Question