Fan problem

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Island_Yota, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Island_Yota

Island_Yota

Bought my Aspire One yesterday, Its the 8.9", XP/160gb version. I love it so far but im having a problem with the fan. On startup this morning it made a loud grinding noise which quieted off within a few seconds.. but since then the fan has a constant rattle to it, I can make it worse/better by tilting the whole machine fore and aft but it hasn't gone away(ive also tried rebooting, letting it cool off for the day etc.) Im guessing my only option is to return it for a new one but is this a common problem with these? Basically the stores policy(futureshop) gives me 14 days to decide if I want to keep it or not or return it, it came with a 1 year warranty from Acer so I have 12 days basically to decide if I want to stay with the Aspire one, any one who has had this issue or heard of it please let me know how to resolve it or the odds of getting another one with the same problem. Ive read up on the fan control software and the bios upgrade but this is not a problem with loud wind/whirring from the fan(for me that was not bad at all), it sounds more like a faulty bearing or bushing, the keyboard is vibrating as I type this

Island_Yota, Mar 18, 2009
  2. Island_Yota

negrix

Take it back to FS and get another one!!! Sounds like you have a faulty fan.

After you get the new one I recommend installing a1ctl fan control, works like a charm plus it controls
    wifi, lan and webcam (on or off), works like a charm !!

Good Luck

negrix, Mar 18, 2009
  3. Island_Yota

ronime

Yes, send it back. Sounds like either the bearing has gone in the fan motor or the fan shroud has not been assembled properly on the heatsink (the shroud is simply held in place on the heatsink by some folded tabs - it's a bit crude).

IMHO, even the quietest fans on 8.9" models are annoying and some kind of fan control software is essential. Still great little machines though.

ronime, Mar 18, 2009
  4. Island_Yota

Island_Yota

So far I love the machine, the fan isnt even that annoying just not something im going to put up with being its brand new! Taking it back today, thanks for the reply's, Is this a common problem though? So far ive only read about 2 other people with this same issue.. crossing my fingers that the replacement is good because its a long drive to the store.

Island_Yota, Mar 18, 2009
  5. Island_Yota

justarumour

I've had my Aspire One for about 5 months. There was no fan noise until recently. I'd left my computer on overnight to dowload a movie, and found it making a loud noise in the morning. After a restart, the noise disappeared. This happened a few times, and didn't concern me much as the probelm went away each time. However, as of yesterday the noise has been constant, even after I restart it. I'm assuming it is the fan making this noise; could it be something else? Is this noise just a nuisance or can it be a warning of damage to my computer?

I bought this computer in Taiwan and I live in Canada. It's still on warranty but the Canadian service center is in Ontario (across the country from my home in Alberta). Is it possible to get the warranty covered at a local Acer store? Anybody know about how much it would cost to get the problem fixed?

justarumour, Mar 25, 2009
  6. Island_Yota

judeh101

well, there is one in vancouver, burnaby.

judeh101, Mar 28, 2009
Ask a Question