Fedora 10 Add/remove issue

Discussion in 'Linux' started by cam, Nov 23, 2008.

1. cam

cam

Using the above iso, I have installed Fedora 10 and am pretty happy with the results. For the first few hours add/remove was working brilliantly, but now it tells me it is 'waiting for tasks' for ages, and then finishes with 'No package cache available' saying that it needs to be rebuilt but that this should have been done at the backend. I'm a bit of a n00b, so forgive me if I'm being stupid... but does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance.

cam, Nov 23, 2008
  2. cam

scottro

Is this on an SSD version? If so, the problem is quite possibly due to the slow write speed of the SSD drive. In fairness to Acer, I assume the reason it's so slow is to keep the price point relatively low, as SSDs (good ones) can get expensive.

If it's an HDD version---well, PackageKit was really made the default much too early, in the opinion of many people (though not the developer) :). You might try installing and using yumex instead and see if you have better luck.

sudo yum -y install yumex

Then to run it
    yumex

scottro, Nov 23, 2008
  3. cam

Issue313

I had this problem, also it stopped reading repositories and even lost a gpg key. Did you follow any instructions setting up or have any further issues?

Issue313, Dec 1, 2008
  4. cam

cam

I meant to reply to this earlier - I think it was a problem with the preview release, as the real thing is running fine without any of the problems I initially encountered. And whilst the SSD is slow, it's not that bad! Fedora 10 is actually quite good speedwise (once it's up and running) It just takes forever to boot.

cam, Dec 2, 2008
Ask a Question