Fedora 10 with GNOME and Ext4

Discussion in 'Linux' started by hwarfnugen, Jan 27, 2009.

1. hwarfnugen

hwarfnugen

Hi All,

I'm not sure if anyone else is interested, but I documented the process that I followed to install Fedora 10 on my Aspire One. I followed a lot of the steps that were available for the XFCE spin. However, I wanted to give the new ext4 filesystem a try. I was also not completely satisfied with XFCE as my desktop manager and prefer GNOME.

I'm not sure how much this affects battery life, but with my 6-cell battery gnome-power-manager is reporting 5 hours of use. I have also not noticed a performance hit with using ext4 over ext2.

Here's a link to the howto. I hope it helps.

http://hwarf.com/2009/01/26/aspire-one-fedora-10/

hwarfnugen, Jan 27, 2009
  2. hwarfnugen

Dman88

It's a nice guide. Includes somethings not on Jorges blog which is nice as its sort of a one stop fedora set up blog.

Couple things i spotted you may want to look at but otherwise very nice:
    Some of the code boxes are very thin or at least on IE7 it is (on windows pc atm) which can make it difficult to view.
    You may want to add that cpuspeed is the service that controls the cpu throttle so if people do want to keep it they can.

Dman88, Feb 4, 2009
  3. hwarfnugen

hwarfnugen

Thanks for the comments. I'll have to take a look at the site in IE when I have a chance.

To turn the cpuspeed back on by default you can run the following command as root.
    Code:
    chkconfig cpuspeed on
    To turn it on and off at your whim.
    Code:
    service cpuspeed start
    service cpuspeed stop

hwarfnugen, Feb 20, 2009
Ask a Question