Fedora 11 alpha

Discussion in 'Linux' started by RockDoctor, Feb 7, 2009.

1. RockDoctor

RockDoctor

Loaded Fedora 11 alpha on my AA1 yesterday (and updated to latest Rawhide this morning). Bottom line - works for me. Boots to login screen (runlevel 3) in 30 sec. Still needs /etc/modprobe.d/aa1 (or appropriate mods to /etc/rc.local):
    Code:
    # all aa1 requirements in one place

# make card readers work even if no card in slot(s) at boot
    options pciehp pciehp_force=1
    options sdhci debug_quirks=1

to get full SD card recognition. I keep an SD card in the left slot at all times; haven't tried booting with the card out. NetworkManager isn't playing nice at the moment (which may be my fault), but wireless works fine when brought up manually. Webcam works. Sound seems to work. Can't seem to get above 100 fps in glxgears using Compiz and no /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Firefox (Minefield 3.1 Beta 2) now works with Yahoo home page; don't know if it's a Firefox or a Yahoo fix, but it wasn't working properly when I left home two weeks ago.

RockDoctor, Feb 7, 2009
  2. RockDoctor

tinee

i tried the kde version and i coudlnt get wifi working out of the box and its kinda sluggish for my liking=/

tinee, Feb 7, 2009
  3. RockDoctor

Andysan

Whats performance like please RockDoctor? I assume you are using GNOME and stock kernel? 30 secs to boot is only 5 secs slower than my Ubuntu 8.10 with a custom kernel atm.

Whats performance like during usage please?

Andysan, Feb 8, 2009
  4. RockDoctor

RockDoctor

Performance actually feels very similar with all of my GNOME installations (Fedora 11 alpha, Fedora 10, Ubuntu 9.04 alpha). CPU frequency scaling is set to OnDemand in all cases, and I'm not doing anything to really tax the system. With my LXDE installations (F10 and U9.04a) the apps do seem to appear on the desktop a bit more rapidly, but again, as I don't tax the system, I don't perceive any difference is the speed with which any prticular program runs.

RockDoctor, Feb 9, 2009
Ask a Question