Fedora 11 LXDE

Discussion in 'Linux' started by finnbakk, Nov 10, 2009.

1. finnbakk

finnbakk

I have with success installed Fedora 11 LXDE on my AAO 110 SSD 512MB Ram.
    With some minor tweaks almost everything seeems to work, like both card readers, wifi. I haven't tested the internal mic, but sound is ok.
    Battery time is no good, just ab. 1 H 45 min.

For Ubuntu there is the awesome Kuki/Sickboy kernel. Has anyone made a customized kernel for Fedora 11?

finnbakk, Nov 10, 2009
  2. finnbakk

RockDoctor

I haven't seen a custom kernel for Fedora, but you can use the Kuki kernel in Fedora. It's not hard; just a bit messy to set up. Open the deb using xarchiver, manually place all the bits and pieces that go into /boot and /lib/modules, generate your initrd file, add a stanza to grub.conf to point to the new kernel, and you should be good to go.

RockDoctor, Nov 12, 2009
  3. finnbakk

finnbakk

Thank you.

Will it also be possible to convert the .deb kernel package to a .rpm package using Alien, and then install it like an ordinary .rpm?

Sorry for my ignorance, but how do I generate an initrd file, and howto add a stanza to grub.conf?

finnbakk, Nov 12, 2009
  4. finnbakk

RockDoctor

Haven't tried using alien to do the installation. My guess is that initrd creation might have to be done manually. man mkinitrd for details. The only parameters I feed to mkinitrd are the image name (something like initrd-2.6.31-14-generic.img) and the kernel version (for my example initrd.img file, it would be 2.6.31-14.generic)

RockDoctor, Nov 12, 2009
  5. finnbakk

finnbakk

Thank you.
    I tried with Alien, but the generated .rpm package was not installable.
    Using the default kernel. I don't take the risk by manually installation of the Kuki kernel.
    Fedora 11 with LXDE fits well to this box.
    By the way, Fedora's update system is very fast and good :)

finnbakk, Nov 13, 2009
Ask a Question