fedora 11

Discussion in 'Linux' started by itres, Mar 16, 2009.

1. itres

itres

Has someone already tried the upcoming Leonidas?

Thx,

itres, Mar 16, 2009
  2. itres

RockDoctor

Yes. No obvious AA1-specific problems, but I haven't updated to the most recent Rawhide

RockDoctor, Mar 16, 2009
  3. itres

colonel

yes, I would avoid fedora 11 until release, unless you are debugging for the developers.
    all the debug and logging options are turned on in the kernel, so its very slow compared to the fedora 10 release.

However, functionality its very good, so it will be worth an upgrade when it comes out.

colonel, Mar 18, 2009
  4. itres

jhedrotten

how do i upgrade my fedora 10 xfce installation without losing my settings and programs?

jhedrotten, Mar 23, 2009
  5. itres

RockDoctor

It's not the proper way, but I do it by brute force - editing the repo files in /etc/yum/repos.d to point to the release I want.
    Look here for the proper way: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PreUpgrade

RockDoctor, Mar 23, 2009
  6. itres

HappyHarry

i was using rawhide off and on from the turn of the year (doing my tinsy tiny little bit to help the community :D) but when they updated rpm to sha256 a few weeks back i stopped using it, but i will be installing the F11 beta on it's own partition when it comes out next week :)

phil

HappyHarry, Mar 24, 2009
  7. itres

jhedrotten

Oh, I've noticed that preupgrade is already installed in my system, so I just need to
    Code:
    sudo preupgrade
    to make the GUI run. However, I have one question, will it replace my XFCE spin with GNOME, or will the Fedora 11 XFCE be available in the preupgrade menu as well? I'm sorry I do not know yet how it goes.

jhedrotten, Mar 25, 2009
  8. itres

HappyHarry

to be honest as F11 is a complete rebuild of all packages for the new gcc and rpm i would just backup your personal stuff (or if you have a seperate home partition keep that) and do a fresh install of F11, but that's just mho :)

but when it's ready the F11 XFCE spin should be available on the preupgrade list :)

phil

HappyHarry, Mar 25, 2009
  9. itres

jhedrotten

oh so it would be better if I just do that then? but if choose to use preupgrade, then all the packages would be updated right?

My other question is, assuming I used the preupgrade program, would it keep my optimization scripts?

jhedrotten, Mar 25, 2009
  10. itres

itres

yeah first it needs to be installed to see what are the improvements in terms of hardware recognition.
    Hopefully most of the tweaks (for fedora 10) will be unnecessary that's what everybody wants.
    I installed fedora 10 but I was not impressed by the package manager so I am using ubuntu right now.
    I hope that rpm/yum will get a speed boost.

itres, Mar 25, 2009
  11. itres

RockDoctor

Fedora 11 alpha - a brief report
    1. Reinstalled from iso; added pciehp, sdhci, snd-hda-intel tweaks. All was good
    2. Upgraded to current rawhide. Sound and SD card mounting via panel disk-mounting applet (and gnome-mount) broke

RockDoctor, Mar 27, 2009
  12. itres

HappyHarry

the F11 beta is released this coming tuesday, i'll be continuing my testing then and report back on my findings :)

rock you mught want to remove the pciehp and sdhci stuff from rc.local as i don't think you'll need it in F11, as i don't need it in my current F10 :)

phil

HappyHarry, Mar 27, 2009
  13. itres

RockDoctor

pciehp seems to be removable but not sdhci stuff.The big problem is I can't determine what's causing the total lack of ability to mount the SD cards when I update F11-alpha. BIOS is 3309, so that shouldn't be a problem. Will wait for the beta before retrying.

RockDoctor, Mar 28, 2009
  14. itres

RockDoctor

I got impatient. Have reinstalled twice times; each time something in the update has fsck'd up auto USB disk mounting and/or the GNOME disk mounting applet. Tried the KDE version of F11-alpha, but decided I still don't just like KDE, so didn't even install it. Reinstall #3 commencing as I write this

RockDoctor, Mar 30, 2009
  15. itres

itres

After all reviewing all post and what I just read here: http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090330#news
    I'll give the beta a go (it is supposed to be out tomorrow).
    KDE is nice no doubt about that, KDE 4 might have surprised and disapointed a lot of user though.
    Myself, I am used to Gnome so I'll install the standard edition.

I'll also post my experience that's why these forums are for right?

Grtz

itres, Mar 30, 2009
  16. itres

HappyHarry

that's exactly what these forums are for, to share our findings and help each other out :D

well the beta is released and i'm currently downloading the i686 xfce spin for my AAO and the x86-64 dvd for my desktop machine, good times :cool:

phil

HappyHarry, Mar 31, 2009
  17. itres

RockDoctor

Preliminary report: F11-beta (GNOME version)

Booted off USB stick.
    Login sound played
    Gnome-settings-daemon apparently crashed.
    Bug Buddy locked up, but momentarily depressed power switch and was again taken to the login screen.
    No wifi available, so brought up a terminal window, and
    Code:
    [liveuser@localhost ~]$ su -
    [root@localhost ~]# rmmod acer_wmi

NetworkManager was then able to see my wifi AP; connected without further difficulty.
    WebCam works
    Did not have SD cards in either slot at boot. inserted cards (right slot first). Cards were recognized and mounted.

Here's hoping that the experience (except maybe for gnome-settings-daemon crashing is repeatable!

RockDoctor, Mar 31, 2009
  18. itres

RockDoctor

Installed F11-beta on my AA1. Must select ext4 in the installer (it's not a bug, it's a feature); the live image does a straight bit-copy to your disk drive so no changing the filesystem. Added /sbin/rmmod acer_wmi to /etc/rc.local to enable NetworkManager to do its thing. Wifi works. Both slots work. Sound works fine if you boot via the GUI; if you boot into runlevel 3 then start X via startx, you get "Null Output" instead of "Internal Audio" as the sound device. I don't like unkillable-X, so I created /etc/X11/xorg.conf (as root, run Xorg -configure and move the newly-created /root/xorg.conf.new to /etc/X11/xorg.conf) and added the following to it:
    Code:
    Section "ServerFlags" 
      Option "DontZap" "0"
    EndSection

I don't use suspend/resume and hibrernate, so haven't tested them.

RockDoctor, Apr 3, 2009
  19. itres

gigieu

RockDoctor thanks a lot for the information. Can you also test for suspend to RAM and hibernate ? It would be much appreciated.

gigieu, Apr 5, 2009
  20. itres

RockDoctor

Suspend seems to work from the gdm login screen only. No hibernation. Now I may be completely wrong about this, but doesn't hibernate require a swap partition? I don't have a swap partition.

update: booting from live usb stick as liveuser, suspend works.

RockDoctor, Apr 5, 2009
Ask a Question