Fedora 12 release comments

Discussion in 'Linux' started by sjs50613, Nov 17, 2009.

1. sjs50613

finnbakk

Sickboy, is it your impressioan that the AA1 runs smoother/faster with Fedora 12 XFCE than with Kuki linux?

finnbakk, Dec 28, 2009
  2. sjs50613

SlCKB0Y

Haha, you're going to laugh about this but here goes:

I never was actually able to install Kuki, it kept hanging on boot for me :D

SlCKB0Y, Jan 3, 2010
  3. sjs50613

JimK

O lord, now i've heard everything. Sickboy, thanks for your work on the custom kernel. Count me among the happy users. Kuki has been working great for me (and that's coming from a longtime Red Hat/Fedora fan).

I've been using Kuki for several months and I can't say I've had any problems with it. Video playback is a little choppy, but not bad for Linux. Boot time is very good, but not as good as Moblin. Wireless and the SD card readers work fine. I haven't used the mic or camera but I've heard no complaints about them under Kuki.

But I do miss Fedora. And Kuki is still using Firefox 3.0.16. I like Fedora's cutting edge software. I think the reason I switched was the volume kept resetting to zero and I had to turn it back up every time I booted. If they've got that straightened out, I may try Fedora 12, either XFCE or Gnome.

JimK, Jan 4, 2010
  4. sjs50613

finnbakk

I now try Fedora 12 XFCE spin from a stick and it seems to work well on my AAO. If I install, will it be a good idea to use ext2 instead og ext4 to avoid journaling?
    AS I only have 512 MB Ram, shold I use a swap partion to make it smoother?

finnbakk, Jan 4, 2010
  5. sjs50613

bailout

Tried the lxde spin as a live usb. Works well apart from tapping to click. I have seen some fixes to enable it but I am struggling to think of a reason why it isn't enabled by default???? Thinking of installing it to hard drive instead of k/ubuntu but Ineed to decide how to handle encryption of /home first.

finnbakk, I think it is best to not have journaling if you have an ssd model (ext2 dousn't use journaling and it can be disabled in ext4 but I don't know which is best). I did post elsewhere on whether using ext2 on a hard drive model may improve battery life but didn't get a firm answer. I would use a swap partition but perhaps someone else can advise. Why are you thinking of not having a swap?

bailout, Jan 5, 2010
  6. sjs50613

RockDoctor

I set up a 1GB swap partition on my last laptop (512MB, 1.67GHz Athlon), but noticed that it wasn't used very much unless I opened several apps in GNOME. My recommendation would be to set it up, then disable swap and see if it makes a significant difference.
    Regarding the default filesystem - see http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Acer_Aspire_One#Live_CD.2FUSB.

RockDoctor, Jan 5, 2010
Ask a Question