Fedora 8 EOL Jan 7, 2009

Discussion in 'Linux' started by RockDoctor, Nov 30, 2008.

1. RockDoctor

RockDoctor

Just a reminder / notice to those of you who've decided to stick with the version Linpus Lite that came on your A110s and supplement it with programs from the Fedora 8 repositiories:
    The repository itself will still be available, but you'll likely be dependent on Linpus for any future updates
    Actual announcement:
    https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2008-November/msg00021.html

RockDoctor, Nov 30, 2008
  2. RockDoctor

jamesb72

Are Acer going to update their linpus version to a later fedora based version ? I've read on forums that new ones may be shipping with Fedora 9 based software, but can't find any mention of this on acer website.

I am happy with orig linpus (with tweaks), but wonder if I will be able to keep using it for another 2-3 years, ie if I need to update firefox 4 will this be possible if I am still using Fedora8 based OS ?

James.

jamesb72, Dec 6, 2008
  3. RockDoctor

RockDoctor

If you're happy with what you've got, then you're all set. Fedora 8 will still be available - there just won't be any official updates. Whether Firefox 4 will run on it, only time will tell.

As for Acer's plans, I don't know. The one limitation I keep coming back to is the Linux kernel. The kernel used in Linpus Lite on the AA1 includes a number of modules not found in the standard kernel. I believe there are patches for the aufs module, but I don't know of any efforts underway that will allow the xD card reader to work with a newer kernel. The old modules compile, they just don't work.

RockDoctor, Dec 6, 2008
Ask a Question