Fedora and no SSH?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by revzalot, Aug 4, 2008.

1. revzalot

revzalot

I just go my new acer but I'm not able to use ssh client. I have Fedora 8 installed by default and I do see /etc/ssh but I cannot use ssh to access other machines. I already tried install it via yum but I'm not able to install it.

TIA.

revzalot, Aug 4, 2008
  2. revzalot

hughesb52

I just got my new Acer One as well and just installed ssh and it works.
    I used "yum install openssh openssh-clients" it needs both the ssh package and the clients package to work.

Hope this helps.
    B52

hughesb52, Aug 5, 2008
  3. revzalot

davis

I have a new Aspire one as well and am used to using Putty to SSH. Will putty work or is there a version that will?
    Any help installing this or another program would be a HUGE help to this novice user.

thanks

davis, Aug 24, 2008
  4. revzalot

rebuilder

putty is windows only afaik. openssh will do the trick.

rebuilder, Aug 24, 2008
  5. revzalot

yodersj

Actually PuTTY is available from the Fedora repositories and Wine is not required. While the 'openssh' command in a terminal gives (essentially) the same end result, I can see that some folks prefer the GUI that PuTTY gives them. I'll admit to using a plug-in for konsole (KDE's terminal) that lets me save session settings.

yodersj, Aug 25, 2008
  6. revzalot

tokyoturnip

I second the putty statement. I am using Putty that was installed from Fedora Repository.
    Nice to save session info.

tokyoturnip, Sep 5, 2008
  7. revzalot

rbil

Does Putty do X? If not, then how can you say you get the "same end result"?

Cheers.

rbil, Sep 7, 2008
  8. revzalot

yodersj

Note the word "essentially", which I placed there to hopefully avoid such a misunderstanding of my words. As for X11 forwarding, I have no idea. If you mean does it run under X, then yes (from what I've seen on another's workstation who does use PuTTy). I don't use PuTTY, except when forced onto Windows and then it is an emergency requiring access to one of our *nix servers which don't run X (no need for it).

yodersj, Sep 7, 2008
  9. revzalot

igmcdowell

I've gotten SSH to work on the AAO without issue. However, I'm more interested in using sshfs to mount remote file systems. I tried 'sudo yum install sshfs' but it started pulling in a new kernel. I'm guessing this would be a really bad thing to install on my AAO, so I cancelled it. Has anyone gotten sshfs running on their AAO?

igmcdowell, Oct 9, 2008
Ask a Question