Fedora with lxde?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by bailout, Feb 10, 2009.

1. bailout

bailout

Has anyone installed f10 with just lxde? ie with lxde as the only de not installing with say gnome and then installing lxde as an alternative. If so is it easy to do and does it work ok?

bailout, Feb 10, 2009
  2. bailout

JimK

That may be more difficult than it would seem. You would probably need to do a network install, and even then it might not work. I think I tried installing F10 with just XFCE (before the XFCE spin came out) and the installer ended up putting Gnome on there anyway. That may have been the beta version, so it's possible that bug may have been fixed. Right now I have Gnome and LXDE, but I usually use Gnome. I like LXDE, but it just wasn't full-service enough for me. There may have been some bugs with sound or something that caused me to stop using it also -- sorry I can't remember why I went back to Gnome after trying both LXDE and XFCE.

JimK, Feb 13, 2009
  3. bailout

bailout

Thanks for the reply. I did try a network xfce install but even that didn't seem to pick up all the necessary packages. I think f10 assumes that you do either gnome or kde and then add other DEs as an option afterwards.

I have also tried lxde since. One of my main interests in it was that it would allow easily disabling window decorations to save screen space without having to use compiz. However this is completely negated by lx panel not having an autohide option.

I think I will stay with xfce for the time being, althoough as I use *buntu on my other pcs I may just go back to xubuntu, or maybe kubuntu when 9.04 comes out as I am a kde exile until kde4 becomes usable.

bailout, Feb 17, 2009
  4. bailout

JimK

I think to get the the desktop environments properly installed you have to do yum groupinstall LXDE (or XFCE) rather than just plain yum install LXDE. But again, I have no idea if that would work from a stripped down, non-X Fedora install.

JimK, Feb 20, 2009
  5. bailout

RockDoctor

Haven't tried this on my AA1, but did try it on my desktop PC a few months ago when I first became aware of LXDE. Unfortunately for those of us who want to conserve on disk space, many Fedora GTK-based apps have GNOME dependencies. The result pretty much mimicked what I see if I start with GNOME, add LXDE, then delete as much GNOME stuff as I can. There was some discussion about creating an LXDE spin of Fedora; don't know what's become of the idea.

RockDoctor, Feb 20, 2009
  6. bailout

HappyHarry

there's an "unofficial" fedora10 lxde spin, you need to spin it yourself using revisor and the provided kickstart file, i'm about to do it this weekend so i'll post back my results, but if anyone else would like to try it the kickstart file can be downloaded from here >>> [attachment=0:e7wlr0qc]lxde-kickstart.zip[/attachment:e7wlr0qc] :)

phil

HappyHarry, Mar 19, 2009
Ask a Question