Feeling Sleepy? Blame It on Social Media

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sefie, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Sefie

Sefie

Teenagers who spend a lot of time on Facebook and Twitter irrespective of the time are more likely to suffer sleep disturbances than their peers who prefer outdoor activities with smartphones on silent mode, say researchers.

"This is one of the first pieces of evidence that social media use really can impact your sleep," said lead author Jessica C Levenson, post-doctoral researcher at the University of Pittsburgh.

To reach this conclusion, Levenson and her colleagues sampled 1,788 adults ages 19-32, using questionnaires to determine social media use and an established measurement system to assess sleep disturbances.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/social-networking/news/feeling-sleepy-blame-it-on-social-media-795125

Sefie, Jan 27, 2016
  2. Sefie

vinaya

Social media is for social interaction, however, these days everyone seems to be over doing social interaction on social media. We don't need any kind of research to analyze the true impact of social media on our health. Social media is slowly becoming number one internet activity and most of the social networking is done through smartphone.

vinaya, Jan 27, 2016
  3. Sefie

thess

I don't doubt it. I've heard that it's bad to use your phone before bed because the light from the screen and doing reading causes the brain to get back to an active temperament. It's harder for me to fall asleep when I've been looking at my phone and I'm usually on social media before bed.

thess, Jan 27, 2016
  4. Sefie

PingPongCall

Nope, I'm still gonna blame it on video games and work. I rarely have time to do anything else.

PingPongCall, Jan 28, 2016
  5. Sefie

IcyBC

I know my son isn't very active on social medias and he doesn't care about Facebook. I can see that he gets tweets from his circle but not sure if he is actively tweeting 24/7. Since he is a teenager, he sleeps a lot and he keeps very active with soccer.

I think it is depending on how people react to the interactions with the media. If they are constantly response to whatever, I can see the problem; but if they are just getting the tweets without a bother, then there won't be any issue.

IcyBC, Jan 29, 2016
Ask a Question