Files in sd card keep disappearing!..

Discussion in 'Windows' started by simbeb, Dec 12, 2008.

1. simbeb

simbeb

I've just noticed that the files i place on the sd card in the right slot (that's where i store all my files) have disappeared every time i reboot! It seems to be doing this only on files that are inside a folder: files just place on the card remain. I end up with empty folders every time - and I can't find the files in the recycle bin.

My right slot card is a simple sd formatted in FAT 32.

Any help welcome...

simbeb, Dec 12, 2008
  2. simbeb

simbeb

As i haven't got any response, i will add to my own post to give you a bit more info on what is wrong:

We are talking about the right-hand side sd card slot. The sd card is a generic (not sdhc) 8gb card formatted in FAT32. None of the files are over 4gb except for the Truecrypt file (but it does not disappear anyway

-scenario 1:
    the sd card is seen as a removable drive, some files are on the root and some are inside a folder. After a reboot, or starting the AA1, only the files in folders have disappeared, that also includes the files in compressed folders.

I thought there was something corrupted in the sd card's file system so i reformatted it: did not change anything.

So I thought the AA1 did not like the sd to be a removable drive:

-scenario 2: I change the sd slot driver to the Hitachi microdrive driver to make Windows recognize the sd as a fixed hard drive: that did not change anything. Files keep disappearing after shutting down and restarting the AA1

Then I thought that Windows was the culprit wiping out those files at shutdown or during the boot process, so:

-scenario 3: I put some files in a folder again on the sd card, then i removed the sd, using the 'remove hardware' wizzard in the system tray first. Then I restarted the PC and inserted the card: the files had disappeared again just the same..!

ALSO: once the files have been wiped out from inside the folder, I try to get rid of the folders that used to contain them, and I just can't delete them:
    -if i try a simple move to recycle bin, I get a 'cannot delete the file, the directory is not empty'
    -if i try to erase using eraser portable, it says: 'could not delete, ther was no file to erase'

Please help. Otherwise i might consider I have one sd slot completely useless.

simbeb, Dec 15, 2008
  3. simbeb

GvidoR

Have you tried a different SD card ? Maybe there's physical damage to the existing card... :?

GvidoR, Dec 15, 2008
  4. simbeb

donec

Try that card in another computer. Maybe even a Linux computer as there may be some reason for Windows not seeing the files but that they are there. Also is the folder encrypted or in an encrypted folder?

donec, Dec 16, 2008
  5. simbeb

simbeb

Hi. I reformatted the card a couple times thinking it would sort out the problem. But maybe you are right, the card could be inherently faulty.

I haven't thought of trying this on my main PC. Thank you for suggesting. btw the folders are not encrypted or in an encrypted file...

simbeb, Dec 16, 2008
  6. simbeb

dattaway

Sounds like the filesystem on removable cards are not syncing.

dattaway, Dec 16, 2008
  7. simbeb

nmesisca

well, FAT32 has a 4GB file size limit, still you say that you have a truecrypt container bigger than that.
    I think that could be your problem.
    I suggest you either resize it or remove it for good from the SD card as its not supported by MS and the results (as you can see) can be corruption of the FS or simply unpredictable behaviour.

nmesisca, Dec 16, 2008
  8. simbeb

myuusmeow

You say it isn't an SDHC card but it is 8GB. All SD cards (be it SD, MicroSD, or probably even MiniSD (anything still use that?!)) larger than 2GB are SDHC.

myuusmeow, Dec 17, 2008
  9. simbeb

simbeb

Apologies: the Truecrypt file is just 4gb in size. Actually, if you try to create a vault bigger than 4gb on a FAT32 drive, the software does tell you that you can't do it/you have to format in NTFS.

I bought it as a normal sd card, and it does not say on the card that it's sdhc, contrary to the one i have in the left slot. But that's not the issue...

Please don't tell me that my AA1 hardware is faulty!..

simbeb, Dec 17, 2008
  10. simbeb

nmesisca

well first thing is try with a different SD card formatted with FAT32.
    also, did you format the SD card on the AAO or another machine?
    and then finally, try to format it with NTFS ..

nmesisca, Dec 17, 2008
  11. simbeb

simbeb

I formatted the card on my main PC. How that would be the problem? I am using Ron's Tiny XP on my AA1 and it is so reduced i am not even sure i can format on it. (I am currently hard working on a light version of XP that is more suited to my needs)

Is it OK to have a NTFS card to work with XP installed on FAT32?

simbeb, Dec 20, 2008
  12. simbeb

mmad

Don't worry, you will be able to format the card, its not something that will have been removed.

Its likely that the card is somehow faulty, Ive had cards that refused to store the information Ive tried to put on it. Try a different card before you get worried about the hardware.

Also, using a NTFS card on a FAT32 filesystem should be fine - just try it out.

mmad, Dec 21, 2008
  13. simbeb

nmesisca

sometimes cards formatted on one system result unreadable on other systems. have you tried reformatting on the AAO?

nmesisca, Dec 22, 2008
  14. simbeb

simbeb

You were right guys, the card is faulty. I have since been using another card fine. I have formatted it in NTFS. Which is great as it means I can put .ISOs of full DVDs on it to watch films on my AA1!

Thanks guys for your help...

simbeb, Jan 9, 2009
Ask a Question