FireFox 3.0.2

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jango, Sep 23, 2008.

1. jango

jango

Hi

FireFox 3.0.2 is out... how can we update?

jango, Sep 23, 2008
  2. jango

macles

Updates itself if you're already using the latest version.

macles, Sep 24, 2008
  3. jango

Fuerst

no, it won#T UPDATE itself. it seems impossible to update from the installed verswion 2.0

so far nobody here has been able to explain to me how to do that- I installed 3.02 but when I start browser on desktob I always get 2.0- may be one has to uninstall version 2.0 and then install 3.02 afterwards?

cheers
    Christian

Fuerst, Sep 24, 2008
  4. jango

SnowboardVicky

SnowboardVicky, Sep 24, 2008
  5. jango

HanDerre

HanDerre, Oct 12, 2008
  6. jango

Cesium

Just followed the walkthrough and I got a nasty error message

xml parsing error:unclosed token
    line number 1192, column 7:
    <toolbarbutton id="print-button" class="toolbarbutton-1 chromeclass-tool-addition-----^

firefox doesn't launch. Can't launch the previous version either. Had to install dillo in the meantime. Anybody know how to remove firefox 3 and reinstall?

Cesium, Oct 17, 2008
  7. jango

onlineaddy

macles is speaking of FF3. Once you've got FF3, any subsequent update can be done within FF.

onlineaddy, Oct 17, 2008
  8. jango

rbil

Usually you should be able to import bookmarks. You'll just need to find the bookmarks.html file from version 2.x and import them into version 3.x.

Cheers.

rbil, Oct 18, 2008
  9. jango

Guest Guest

Is it actually worth updating to FF3 if you're using the basic 8GB Linux AA1 system? Are there performance advantages/disadvantages in using Firefox 3?

Guest, Oct 18, 2008
  10. jango

mrs_miggins

I used the recommended method from macles and updated firefox to 3.03. In my opinion the browing experience on the SSD AA1 using Firefox 3 is a complete let down. The delay when a new page/tab is very frustrating, and the reported bug with Firefox 3 and Yum annoying.

If you want an up to date browser with amazing speed, try Opera, it's seriously fast. There a guide on macles.blogspot.com to install it easily.

mrs_miggins, Oct 18, 2008
  11. jango

rbil

I haven't installed FF3 on the Acer, but I did install it on my Ubuntu main desktop computer. I found no advantage to using FF3 over FF2 and in fact, found it riddled with annoying little bugs that for my needs make it less useful than FF2. Of course, for others, that might not be the case, if they don't have the same demands from a web browser that I have.

Cheers.

rbil, Oct 18, 2008
  12. jango

Cesium

mrs miggins
    tried opera like you suggested. I won't go back to firefox, or to safari on my mac for that matter. Opera's a much better browser, and it installs easily, without all the firefox issues. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cesium, Oct 27, 2008
  13. jango

Elllipsis

Firefox 3 has worked great for me on my Ubuntu desktop...I have not really noticed any major or minor problems with using it over FF2...the features included with FF3 are more that worth then what ever minor bugs might be occurring.

That said installing FF3 on the AA1 is needlessly complex and I am lazy...Opera is really fast but to me it feels limiting compared to my usual FF freedom to change themes and add many different plugins. Thus, for now I am just using good old FF2.

Elllipsis, Oct 27, 2008
  14. jango

whassupbud55

I have used FF for ages being a web designer. I use FF 3 on my Desktop and have just got an Aspire One so will be looking into having FF 3 on that. I dont know what the bugs are that are being mentioned? Regarding bookmarks, get the wicked FF extension "Foxmarks". You can have all your bookmarks stored on the developers server, install Foxmarks on another computer and sync with the server so you if you find a site you like on your work PC, get home and syncronize and you got the bookmark on your home pc too. Foxmarks is available for FF2 and 3, when you restart FF you will be prompted to create an account for Foxmarks. I cant say that you should rush into updating to FF 3, I would be happy with 2 but use 3 for web design purposes. Opera is a top browser aswell. If you are addicted to social sites like Facebook, Digg, Flickr, Twitter, Youtube etc and regularly upload photos and like RSS feeds, try Flock. Flock is a great browser by some developers who worked on Firefox. Flock is built on Mozilla anyway and most FF extensions are valid in Flock, only thing is that FF themes dont work in Flock and it has limited themes of it's own at the minute. Laters.

whassupbud55, Nov 2, 2008
Ask a Question