firefox 3 and flash 10

Discussion in 'Linux' started by alfb, Nov 23, 2008.

1. alfb

alfb

Hi,

i'm using an acer one linpus lite 1.5g ram, SSD 8g.

I managed to install firefox 3 successfully, a bit of a pain tho....
    I manually removed ff2 package then went through some instructions i found to install ff3 on linpus lite, ff2 was reinstalled for the libraries within this process it was well over 50 meg of downloads.

Everything works except for flash plugin, i installed the yum rpm from adobe rebooted and it worked again, great.... Strange thing is I had flash working on both firefox 2 and firefox 3, then when i added some more applications the firefox 3 versions flash plugin stopped working.

Now I cant get flash working on firefox 3 again?!?! i followed the process i did before (as it worked) but no joy this time....

Can anyone help me install adobe flash player 10 on firefox 3 and get it to stay working....PRETTY PLEASE

I know that the fedora dependencies can really mess up the system if the wrong thing is installed from the repos....

Any one know why flash 10 doesnt work with ff3?

alfb, Nov 23, 2008
  2. alfb

jrs

Do you know where you extracted the FF3 binary? -- There should be a symlink to the plugins in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. I would check that the symlinks wer not deleted. You may need to:

(don't type this line until you edit!)
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/* /<directory with FF3 binary>/firefox/plugins

A great FF3 install tut: http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/07/installing-firefox-3-on-acer-aspire-one.html

jrs, Feb 12, 2009
  3. alfb

Winfried

I have also the problem, that I installed flash player 10; it is also listed in the firefox 3 plugins; however when I try to view eg in the mediatek of the German television a video nothing happens. When I disable the flash player the website of the mediathek says: load the flash layer; when I enable the plugin again; this message disappears; this means the website recognises that I have the player.
    However nothing happens.
    I searched for the directory: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ it is there
    I searched for the ff3 binary - I assume that it the executable firefox file- it is in usr/lib/firefox-3.0.3
    However, in this library there is no plugins;
    but a "plugins" directory is in the directory for firefox-2.0.0.14, which I maintain following an advice in one of the posts here in the forum
    I created that directory in the ff3 directory, executed the command you listed above started firefox but still the same result: no video played.
    I will do now a restart and try again; if the result is better I will report here
    EDIT: I restarted and now the videos work

Winfried
    PS By the way: acer has installed an update site: http://www.acer.com/aspireone/aspireone_8_9/support/files/connect.html and this contains also an update to firefox 3 ; for a beginner its easier than macles

Winfried, Feb 18, 2009
  4. alfb

tonyj1999

tonyj1999, Mar 19, 2009
  5. alfb

Jixjifs

This download has worked simply and fine, thank you very much. But it has installed the Google Toolbar together with Firefox, and I don't want this. How can I remove it?

Jixjifs, Mar 22, 2009
  6. alfb

Winfried

Play in firefox with the menu "view/toolbars/customize"

Winfried, Mar 23, 2009
  7. alfb

Jixjifs

Hmm I have already done this, but it only makes that the toolbar isn't displayed; what I want is to remove it completely from my computer.

Jixjifs, Mar 23, 2009
  8. alfb

Winfried

I have not found yet a way to do it; would also be interested, if somebody in the forum could give advice.
    However, I am using the noscript add on. That add on disables all the scripts Google or others are using on their websites. It is then you who permits or forbids scripts, when browsing; sometimes you need to permit scripts eg when buying a book or downloading something. But you exclude then all the aweful advertisments. AND you disable the Google analytic tools.

Winfried

Winfried, Mar 23, 2009
  9. alfb

alfb

I did a few reinstall tests with flash 10 and it seems that flash can break if installed from the repos.

You can install it and get it working from the repos, however rebooting is another story and seems to break flash.
    It seems to work best to install using the download from the adobe website than the repositories.

Thats how i'd pretty much sum it up.

FLASH 10 also does not work with Firefox 3 on my Ubuntu Hardy Machine 8.04
    I've tried downloading flash 10 from Adobe and the official repos and a few other sources but it is just not working. No playback at all.
    I have reverted to the old Flash 9 and it works absolutely fine.

alfb, Mar 30, 2009
Ask a Question