FireFox-3 Flash-9 no audio, help

Discussion in 'Linux' started by sbessel, Sep 5, 2008.

1. sbessel

sbessel

I have been able to get FireFox 3 up and running, it works great. I have flash 9 installed, but the audio does not work. I have seen a bunch of other people have this issue, but all fixes are either Ubuntu or Wondoze based.

Being a Linux virgin I am stuck.

Anyone else run into this and find a fix?

thanks,

Scott

sbessel, Sep 5, 2008
  2. sbessel

IMSancho

I had a similar problem after trying out the flash 10 beta, ended up having to remove the flash-plugin and libflashsupport packages, restart, then add flash-plugin from the official adobe repos, and now flash is working fine again with sound. Interestingly I didn't need to add libflashplugin again.

IMSancho, Sep 6, 2008
  3. sbessel

sbessel

thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't tried that...

Just did, and it didn't help - :mrgreen:

Any other ideas?

Scott

sbessel, Sep 6, 2008
  4. sbessel

IMSancho

Try running firefox from a terminal, play a flash video and see what the output is in the terminal. I originally got a pulseausio error, so I removed the pulseaudio-alsa pakcages as I'm not using them, then got an ALSA error. That was when I removed the flash plugin, shutdown (I've noticed a few things not stay where they're told to on this machine when simply rebooted) and added the flash plugin again.

IMSancho, Sep 6, 2008
  5. sbessel

sbessel

Great idea, but no flash errors, and it loads and a few errors appear, but no more once I hit a flash page.
    I also tried with a sudo in front to see if that helped.
    Code:
    (firefox-bin:22243): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Could not create per-user Gnome application-registry directory: /root/.gnome/application-info
    (firefox-bin:22243): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Deprecated function.  User modifications to the MIME database are no longer supported.
    (firefox-bin:22243): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Deprecated function.  User modifications to the MIME database are no longer supported.
    (firefox-bin:22243): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Cannot open '/root/.gnome/application-info/user.applications' for writing

Keep the ideas coming...

Scott

sbessel, Sep 6, 2008
  6. sbessel

FireSoul

used to have it in ubuntu .... i remmber that you need to kill the porgram using the found driver

so kill firefox ... then open it again ( i know it's not a real answer but atleast better than resarting )

FireSoul, Sep 6, 2008
  7. sbessel

sbessel

My audio does not work at all, ever, with flash. so killing OR restarting is not the answer...

sbessel, Sep 8, 2008
  8. sbessel

Fuerst

Hi, I am still running the original firefoy version which is a pest since the programme always shuts down all tabs.

does anyone know how to update the old version simply with the 3.0 without having to uninstall firefox 2 ???

thanks and cheers
    Christian

Fuerst, Sep 9, 2008
Ask a Question