Firefox 3 Java

Discussion in 'Linux' started by suki22, Aug 22, 2008.

1. suki22

suki22

Hi,

i installed FF3 manually. I copied the plugins as mentionend in samuel greefs guide (click), everthing works fine, but i have no java runtime in the browser....
    I need the java support badly so pls help me out :?

Edit:
    I just found a rpm from remi releases. Should i install that one and java via package manager or is there a other way?

suki22, Aug 22, 2008
  2. suki22

jbg

jbg, Aug 23, 2008
  3. suki22

suki22

Ok, i installed it over my current installation, but nothing happens, still no java.

I think i have to do a recovery and do the rpm installation instead of the manual one...

suki22, Aug 23, 2008
  4. suki22

deslock

In this thread:
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=443

it was mentioned to install Sun's java following the Acer support doc at:
    http://www.acer.com.sg/support/driv...e+-+A110+(Linux)&category_=Technical+Bulletin

However, I'd already installed FF3, following the instructions at:
    http://macles.blogspot.com/

That included a step for linking all existing FF2 plugins in FF3, which I reran after installing Sun's java:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/* /opt/firefox/plugins
    (alternatively, you could run ln –s /usr/java/jre1.6.0_07/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so from the FF3 plugins folder)

However, opening FF3 and going to about:plugins (in the address bar) showed that the default IcedTea java plugin was also still linked to, which was apparently confusing FF3 and preventing java from working properly. To fix it, I deleted the IcedTea link file in my FF3 plugins folder (/opt/firefox/plugins). I forget its name, but it was listed in FF3 when I went to about:plugins.

Remember to to sudo or su when needed. Hope this helps.

deslock, Aug 23, 2008
  5. suki22

suki22

@deslock
    Thanks for your advice, but the problem solved itself via a recovery installation and the yum installation with the remi rpm firefox3. ;)

Java is linked in the about:plugins page, and java works fine.

suki22, Aug 23, 2008
Ask a Question