Firefox 3 worth installing under Linpus?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Jawn, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Jawn

Jawn

Hi,

Have you installed Firefox 3 under Linpus? If so, does it perform better than FF2 (which I believe comes standard), and is it worth the trouble?

Thanks,

John

Jawn, Sep 11, 2008
  2. Jawn

ftapon

I'm also curious about the benefits and downsides of installing Firefox 3.

It seems many on the forum have experienced slow performance after installing Firefox 3. Many seem to regret the "upgrade" and are trying to revert to Firefox 2 (and are struggling to do so).

Is everyone experiencing a slow down? Are there other downsides?

Do the benefits outweigh the costs? :geek:

ftapon, Sep 26, 2008
  3. Jawn

karona

I installed FF3 using the how-to in these forums. The first time I thought I'd get clever and uninstall FF2 first, that completely kacked the OS. Second time lucky it worked fine, no obvious slow-down, auto update, add-ons and themes work just fine. There are hints and tips in here to improve performance of FF3, I tried most of them, but couldn't really see any improvement afterwards. So, for me it was definitely worth the effort, and there's no 'downside', I don't want to revert to FF2

Keith

karona, Sep 26, 2008
  4. Jawn

Darryl

I installed ff3 on linpus. It stayed stable for about 24 hours then suddenly spat out an error and removed the back and forward arrows from the toolbar. I ended up doing another recovery. I wouldn't bother, if its not broke don't fix it.

Darryl, Sep 26, 2008
  5. Jawn

a1m1

a1m1, Sep 26, 2008
  6. Jawn

Jawn

Thanks for your very helpful feedback on this. After messing about with my Eee 701's Xandros and eventually installing XP (which I confess was enjoyable but pretty time consuming), I'm much less inclined to get another netbook that requires such effort to bring up to my specs (ie, FF3). The Dell Mini 9 with Ubuntu is looking pretty good to me on paper, although not released at this writing.

Jawn, Sep 27, 2008
Ask a Question